For the last 3 or so years, I've been using hibernate more-or-less day-to-day. Not by choice, per se, but because I've been working on a project that used it. This is my experience, some of which may stem from lack of knowledge of hibernate, but:

1) Personally, I find the "mental model" behind Cayenne easier to follow/understand. An object context is a sandbox. You make your changes and commit them. WIth hibernate, you have a session that's kinda similar, but still not the same. There's more-or-less no notion of "detached" objects in Cayenne (there are transient objects, but it's not the same). A hibernate session is much more closely tied to a transaction than Cayenne's ObjectContext (unless, maybe, you use Hibernate's session-per-user-session paradigm, which is generally discouraged).

2) As Joe mentioned, there's faulting. There are certainly things you /can't/ do in hibernate. There is no (clean) way to have a lazy, non-mandatory toOne relationship. The only relationships that can be lazily fetched are mandatory toOne, and toMany. See, eg, here: http://community.jboss.org/wiki/SomeExplanationsOnLazyLoadingone-to-one for some suggested workarounds. Hibernate's lazy fetching model really feels like an afterthought. In fact, a number of years ago, hibernate really didn't support lazy fetching at all (at least not well) and one of the devs basically said that he thought lazy fetching was a bad idea; an application should know at the beginning of the request what data it needs and fetch it all in one swoop. Certainly, that's a nice idea in theory... but what if you're not running a webapp? There are other use-cases, even in a webapp, that make it extremely naive/wishful thinking. I wish I could find the thread now, but it was one of the espoused philosophies that originally turned me off to hibernate and on to Cayenne. You can see the sentiment/resistance to lazy loading here, though: https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=930457&highlight=remote+lazy+loading, albeit for remote lazy loading. But the ideas espoused there are essentially the ones that were espoused earlier, on the web tier. Hibernate does have lazy loading now, but I still find it... finicky. It's way too easy to hit LazyInitializationException.

3) POJO vs. inheritance
Cayenne uses inheritance. Technically, it uses interfaces. Your objects must implement DataObject. In theory, you can do that without inheritance. In practice, that's fighting against the framework, and your objects will inherit from, say, CayenneDataObject (there's a client version, as well, for ROP). For some people, that's a real turn-off. They like their "POJO"s. The thing is... hibernate still uses inheritance. It's just inverted. They created an instrumented class that is a subclass of your class, and all access of your class goes through the subclass. It's an interesting solution, but not without it's pain points. I find hibernate applications MUCH harder to debug than Cayenne applications, precisely because you're dealing with a proxy. And, in fact, inspecting that proxy in a debugger can trigger database access that changes the path of execution. I was debugging an application that was hitting an exception (NPE or else LazyInitializationException, or something similar). Whenever I would try to debug it, the exception wouldn't appear. When I didn't, the exception would appear. I finally realized it was because I was inspecting the object earlier on, forcing a fetch of the associated values, resulting in a fully inflated object at the normal time of the exception. Oh what fun it was to debug that problem! As for runtime bytecode generation, I've seen it used well, and not. The critical thing is to have really good exceptions if your framework is going to use bytecode generation, because debugging generated bytecode is a pain. Unfortunately, Hibernate exceptions suck. :)

Another issue occurs with the handling of inheritance. Suppose you fetch a list of SuperClass that has SubclassA and SubclassB. Depending on how you fetch SuperClass, the proxy will ONLY implement the SuperClass, so none of the objects will be instances of SubclassA or SubclassB. Ok, fine, you fetched SuperClass. Except... if you do something like:

obj.getClass().getName(); => "SubclassA"
or
obj.getClass().isInstance(SubclassA.class); => true
but
SubclassA obj = (SubclassA) obj: //ClassCastException.

This is because the proxy is only an instance of SuperClass, but the /delegate/ it wraps is a SubclassA (or B). And the calls to getClass() are passed on to the proxy. So in pretty much any way you can check for the class type, you'll be fooled into thinking you have a subclass instance, but you can't cast the object directly as a subclass. There are ways around this... but it's stupid that you have to work around it in the first place. I find Cayenne's "traditional" inheritance MUCH simpler to deal with, with fewer quirks. Also note that you can still insert your own custom superclass into the chain:

MyClass extends MySuperClass{}
MySuperClass extends CayenneDataObject{}

Is perfectly legit.

4) runtime metadata. You can get the metadata (mapping info) for entities in hibernate and in cayenne, but it's messed up in hibernate. :) Seriously, in my experience, it's MUCH easier to work with object metadata in Cayenne than in hibernate. It's one of the advantages of inheriting from CayenneDataObject. The information is all self-contained, so you can very easily access information such as database-level constraints. The integration library for cayenne and tapestry leverages this to automatically make fields required that are flagged as "not null" at the database level, and to constrain the length of input fields when using limited-width columns. This information /is/ available in Hibernate, but it's harder to get at, and the API for using it is extremely awkward. At least compared to Cayenne! :)

Those are a few of the pain points I've experienced with Hibernate. That said, it does have some strengths.

1) I do (kind of) like the annotation-based approach that is now available in hibernate. Not enough to abandon Cayenne + Cayenne Modeler, but if you like having all of the modeling info directly in your source (some do, some don't), or you like building your object and annotating on the fly, then this is nice. Hibernate provides fairly sane defaults for most things, so it means you build your class and annotate the deviances rather than having to annotate everything.

2) Hibernate's implementation of inheritance is (probably) more complete than Cayenne's (I'm not sure where the current state is for Cayenne). So if you have really complex inheritance requirements, that's something to consider. Cayenne readily supports "single table inheritance" (there are other names). Cayenne also supports vertical/"joined table inheritance", where you have one table for the superclass, and then a table for each subclass. Cayenne currently doesn't support "horizontal" inheritance (no table for the superclass; one table for each concrete subclass); hibernate does. If you need that, you'll have to stick with hibernate (my condolences :).

3) There are relative strengths and weaknesses to Cayenne's SelectQuery API vs. Hibernate's Criteria API. One of the really nice things in the Hibernate API is projections, which aren't quite as straightforward in Cayenne. The flip is is raw SQL. I find Cayenne's raw sql support, in the form of SQLTemplate, superior to Hibernate's sql execution. You can do it in Hibernate, but it feels dirty, whereas Cayenne more readily embraces the idea that not every query should be generated by the ORM. In fact, I've often considered forking Cayenne and creating a very small library that basically consists solely of SQLTemplate and DataRows. For small projects, having a simple way to externalize and centrally manage queries without introducing additional complexity would be great. :)

In regards to your questions, specifically:

1) Should be able to use Cayenne either way
2) Starting with a new technology is always a risk, but generally, I think your risk is reasonably low with Cayenne. If you're beating your head against the wall with Hibernate, you'll probably find Cayenne's "mental model" more to your liking. As far as transitioning the project... I would probably start a new branch, reverse engineer the model from the database, tweak whatever properties need tweaking (you'll need to override the enum stuff, for instance, but that's pretty straightforward). Then generate your classes and migrate any custom code from the hibernate entities to the cayenne ones. Then delete the hibernate entities. :) You'll want to generate the cayenne entities in a different package than the Hibernate ones, at least initially. Once you nix the hibernate entities, you can bulk-move the Cayenne ones. As for specific pitfalls, without knowing more details about your project, it's hard to say. Are you required to audit entities? You're probably going to need to do that differently in Cayenne than in Hibernate (although I think listeners are friendlier in Cayenne than in Hibernate!)

3) I addressed bytecode generation above. Basically, I prefer Cayenne's approach.

4) ... maybe this is just me, but, I /usually/ try to avoid storing data that can be calculated. Sometimes it's justified, if the calculation is expensive, but unlikely to change frequently (eg: I've stored metadata about files in the db before so that the metadata was available without having to access the files). So in the case of the "totalValue", I would probably do that either as EJBQLQuery (I think it supports SUM?) or else as a SQLTemplate query. With the right query cache strategy, it should be performant. Then you don't worry about updating the value directly (you'll just have to know when to invalidate the cached query... which is when OrderDetail.value is modified or new OrderDetail is called) and cayenne can re-run the query for you, but will otherwise return the cached value. Then implement it in the object layer as a psuedo-property. Maybe other people have other solutions that are better, but that's what I'd do.

5) They aren't nested transactions; they are nested contexts. And they can be very useful for aggregating a group of related changes together and isolating them from other changes in the context so you can throw them away as a group without worrying about losing your other changes. Very handy for dealing with dirty data!

6) I would definitely start by reverse engineering the schema. You'll get all of the DbEntities created for you for free; they will usually be correct, as long as you've correctly supplied foreign key constraints, etc. You'll get the "Object Entities" as well, although you'll have to tweak those a bit to handle the enums. But reverse engineering should definitely save you time.

Robert