There is a new constructor for AutoAdapter:

public AutoAdapter(Provider<DbAdapter> adapterProvider)
While injection is an implementation detail, it is used in the
documentation:
We are still trying to write the Java classes managed via injection in a manner that should not prevent their creation in the code.

Andrus