On 10/02/10 1:03 AM, Eric Lazarus wrote:
Folks:

We are building a complex object model
where there are a bunch of types and sub types and we are considering
using Postgresql's table inheritance (see:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-inherit.html )

Does anyone have actual product
deployment experience with building a system that uses Apache Cayenne
on top of tables that were built using Postgresql's table inheritance
capability?

How could we get the table inheritance
to be reflected as object inheritance in the cayenne data objects.
What problems are associated with this.

I'd be very surprised if you were able to make that work. Cayenne would think the two tables are completely different and would not be able to know that they contain overlapping objects. You are then liable to run into all sorts of problems modifying the same object twice, dealing with caches, etc

Is there a reason you aren't using inheritance from Cayenne itself? For horizontal and single-table inheritance that works very nicely.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis

groupuser @