Grokbase Groups Cayenne dev July 2015
Hi all and thanks for the replies!

The “get” prefix may help when interoperating with Tapestry, but I haven’t really had any problems dropping it. I backed away from using it 7-8 years ago and never looked back. I find the prefix is not only redundant but damaging, since it violates hiding of implementation. For example:

My DataObject subclass has methods called “firstname” and “lastname” that extract data from a DB property (“fullName”) by chopping up the string stored there.
Now I want to change how my data is stored, i.e. I want to store the first and last names in separate properties. If I do this, I now have to rename my “firstname” method to “getFirstname”, meaning: My API design now depends on an implementation detail, which is bad.

But anyway… Apart form this, it's probably mostly down to to taste whether you choose to prefix your methods or not. The question I’m asking is primarily if Cayenne has an opinion on it and if you feel it *should* have an opinion on it. I’d be very happy if it didn’t :).

Cheers,
- hugi