On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
On Feb 8, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

I'm reaching here a bit since it's been a while since I looked at this
problem, but I think the semantics were preserved because isSubentityOf
wasn't a proper subentity relationship.  I.e., an entity could be a
subentity of itself.  So, while the code looks strange, it worked.

-            if (rel.getTargetEntity() != src)
+            if (target.isSubentityOf((ObjEntity) rel.getTargetEntity())) {
continue;
+            }

In the past we'd give up on a given relationship as a potential candidate
for a reverse relationship based on the fact that its *target* entity is not
the same as forward relationship *source*.

The new code compares inheritance hierarchy of the forward relationship
*target*, and reverse candidate relationship *target*. Apples and oranges.
Seems like the "if" check would *always* fail here except for
self-referential relationships? So the check itself is not doing anything,
and simply lets the following code to execute unconditionally.
I'll have to dig up the project this was a problem in and run through
it again. I recall spending about two days in a debugger ensuring the
semantics were upheld. But that was a year and a half ago and I'm
hazy on how it all works. If your analysis is correct, the patch at
the very least should have caused a failure somewhere in the test
suite.
And the result is that further analysis is done based on the DbRelationship
path, and relationships starting/terminating at different subentities of the
same inheritance hierarchy as picked as a forward/reverse pair (which IMO is
incorrect until we implement a more sophisticated matching algorithm as
discussed).
Sure, but we could address the most common case without having to do a
rewrite for the more general case, IMHO. I don't think the STI case I
outlined is really that esoteric a mapping.
So based on that conclusion I am going to revert the CAY-1009 patch (and
also commit CAY-1378 tests).
I'd caution that the change is going to break things for existing
users. I left the patch as is for peer review and then users reported
on the list that it worked in their scenarios. Reverting that is
undoubtedly going to break code they already have working and it's
going to do so in an RC. So it seems to me like we're just trading
off solving one problem for another.

--
Kevin

groupdev @