Having actually done this the first way Andrus mentions, my advice is to do it the second way (as an inheritance) if you can. The first way is pretty easy, but you don't end up with actual SQL JOIN statements when (say) you try to find all records Tagged with a certain tag. You end up with very long SELECT IN.... across the join. Which works fine until you try to join 10,000 records.

George, could you point us to the documentation for how ActiveRecord implements this? I'd be interested in their approach.

Ari