Grokbase Groups Avro user June 2013
It can be a view, or a transformation. You might view data_a with
schema_b. Or, you might take binary data, conforming to schema A and
directly re-write it to binary data, conforming to schema B. Most Avro
APIs don't yet handle workflows that are not 'read' and 'write' --
transformations to or from object representations to serialized forms.

The general case includes all transformation classes as well as views.