Grokbase Groups Avro user May 2013
Making the DatumReader/Writers configurable would be a welcome addition.

Ideally, much more of what goes on there could be:
  1. configuration driven
  2. pre-computed to avoid repeated work during decoding/encoding

We do some of both already. The trick is to do #1 without impacting
performance and #2 requires a bigger overhaul.

If you would like, a contribution including a Clojure related maven module
or two that depends on the Java stuff would be a welcome addition and
allow us to identify compatibility issues as we change the Java library
over time.