Grokbase Groups Avro dev June 2013
I apologize, my spell correct renamed "fivebytes" to "five bytes"
everywhere below, spaces aren't permitted in Avro names.
On 6/28/13 9:08 AM, "Scott Carey" wrote:

I assume he means the difference between:

{"type":"record", "name":"ForwardRef", "fields":[
{"name":"thing_ref", "type": "five bytes"},
{"name":"thing_declared", "type": {"type":"fixed", "size":5,
"name":"five bytes"}}
]}

{"type":"record", "name":"BackRef", "fields":[
{"name":"thing_declared", "type": {"type":"fixed", "size":5,
"name":"five bytes"}}
{"name":"thing_ref", "type": "five bytes"},
]}

The Avro spec does not currently support the first of the above,
references must be declared before being used.

We could change this, but every language implementation would need to be
updated, and it could create some compatibility issues (old code would not
necessarily parse new schemas).
New features for avro schemas since the start have almost entirely been
forwards-compatible. The rare exceptions have been when bug fixes or
language differences necessitated otherwise.

At the moment, most of the schema parsers eagerly decode named references
rather than being lazy.