[Tomcat-users] Tomcat 7 Manager App Authentication failure

Kl2eativ
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:17 am
Hello. I am having problems trying to authenticate my tomcat 7 manager app. I
keep getting a 401 Unauthorized page. My config is as follows:
tomcat-users.xml (Located in /etc/tomcat5)
[code]
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
<role rolename="manager-gui"/>
<user username="manager" password="tomcat" roles="manager-gui" />
</tomcat-users>
[/code]

server.xml (Located in /etc/tomcat5)
[code]

type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
pathname="etc/tomcat5/tomcat-users.xml" />
[/code]

I restart the tomcat service ( #service tomcat restart ) , but still cannot
authenticate. Your help would be greatly
appreciated.

reply

  • Igor Cicimov at Jun 29, 2012 at 6:06 am

    Hello. I am having problems trying to authenticate my tomcat 7 manager
    app. I
    keep getting a 401 Unauthorized page. My config is as follows:
    tomcat-users.xml (Located in /etc/tomcat5)
    [code]
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
    <tomcat-users>
    <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
    <user username="manager" password="tomcat" roles="manager-gui" />
    </tomcat-users>
    [/code]

    server.xml (Located in /etc/tomcat5)
    [code]

    type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
    pathname="etc/tomcat5/tomcat-users.xml" />
    [/code]

    I restart the tomcat service ( #service tomcat restart ) , but still cannot
    authenticate. Your help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    First check the security-constraint in the manager app and make sure that
    the manager-gui role is allowed access.

    Second, are you trying to access from localhost or remote host?

    Igor
  • Kl2eativ at Jun 30, 2012 at 9:58 pm
    Thank you for your response. I am not sure what you mean with the first
    question. As for the second one I access it locally via mydomainname:8080,
    Then the tomcat pages loads and to the top right corner I have the three
    options, Server Status, Manager App and Host Manager.

  • Kl2eativ at Jun 30, 2012 at 10:02 pm
    Igor Cicimov wrote
[...]

  • Arnaud LARROQUE at Jun 29, 2012 at 6:22 am
    Hello,

    Are you using tomcat 7 or tomcat 5 ? You mentioned both and this is
    confusing.

    URL changed in the tomcat 7 manager app : are you accessing through
    http://your-host:your-port/manager/html ?
    Hello. I am having problems trying to authenticate my tomcat 7 manager
    app. I
    keep getting a 401 Unauthorized page. My config is as follows:
    tomcat-users.xml (Located in /etc/tomcat5)
    [code]
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
    <tomcat-users>
    <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
    <user username="manager" password="tomcat" roles="manager-gui" />
    </tomcat-users>
    [/code]

    server.xml (Located in /etc/tomcat5)
    [code]

    type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
    pathname="etc/tomcat5/tomcat-users.xml" />
    [/code]

    I restart the tomcat service ( #service tomcat restart ) , but still cannot
    authenticate. Your help would be greatly
    appreciated.

  • Kl2eativ at Jun 30, 2012 at 10:04 pm
    Arnaud LARROQUE wrote
    Hello,

    Are you using tomcat 7 or tomcat 5 ? You mentioned both and this is
    confusing.

    URL changed in the tomcat 7 manager app : are you accessing through
    http://your-host:your-port/manager/html ?
    Thank you for your response. I have installed Tomcat 7.0.27 but for some
    reason the folders that I have say Tomcat5? I access it via myhostname:8080

  • Arnaud LARROQUE at Jul 1, 2012 at 10:29 am

    Are you using tomcat 7 or tomcat 5 ? You mentioned both and this is
    confusing.

    URL changed in the tomcat 7 manager app : are you accessing through
    http://your-host:your-port/manager/html ?
    Thank you for your response. I have installed Tomcat 7.0.27 but for some
    Did you install tomcat 7 through package manager ? which distribution ?
    reason the folders that I have say Tomcat5? I access it via myhostname:8080
    On my fedora16, /etc/tomcat5 is the configuration directory for the
    tomcat5 package
    /etc/tomcat is the configuration directory for the current tomcat
    version (ie tomcat 7.0.27)

    Check if you also have a /etc/tomcat directory ? if so, apply your
    configuration in this directory

    Arnaud

  • Kl2eativ at Jul 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm
    Arnaud LARROQUE wrote