[Tomcat-users] Trouble with List Application function of Tomcat Manager

Beohm, Thomas
Jul 28, 2011 at 7:38 pm
Hello!

I'm running Tomcat 7.0.11 on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, and recently installed Windows Updates (to the tune of like 80 of them) on the server. After doing so, when attempting to view the list of web apps running in Tomcat, I get the following:

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [HTMLManager] in context with path [/manager] threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.getServletContext(GenericServlet.java:125)
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.log(GenericServlet.java:190)
at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.list(HTMLManagerServlet.java:415)
at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doGet(HTMLManagerServlet.java:162)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:304)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at org.apache.catalina.filters.CsrfPreventionFilter.doFilter(CsrfPreventionFilter.java:186)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:240)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:164)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:591)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:164)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:100)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:562)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:394)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:243)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:188)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:166)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:302)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Nothing else Tomcat-wise has changed on the server.

Anybody else out there running Tomcat in this type of environment and run into this issue (basically a fully-patched Windows 2008 server)? The trouble was manifest when our monitoring tools stopped working for Tomcat. :(

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tom
reply

Search Discussions

1 response

  • Pid at Jul 29, 2011 at 7:21 am

[...]

    Tomcat is now 7.0.19, can you upgrade?

    Reinstalling will probably fix the issue, and will take less time than
    trying to unpick what's gone wrong. (Even though we'd like to know...)