Grokbase Groups Tomcat dev July 2006

[Tomcat-dev] JK 1.2.18 isapi_redirect installer builds

Mladen Turk
Jul 20, 2006 at 10:02 am
Hi,

Anyone has a working copy of InstallShield
and is able to build the the .msi?

Inside iis/installer/bin one needs to put
the isapi_redirect.dll and run the
isapi-redirector-win32-msi.ism

Bill, IIRC you have one for building
httpd? Any chance you create this build?

I had mine IS 10, but the license was for my previous
employer, so I'm unable to use it any more.

Regards,
Mladen.

reply

  • William A. Rowe, Jr. at Jul 20, 2006 at 8:32 pm

    Mladen Turk wrote:

    Bill, IIRC you have one for building
    httpd? Any chance you create this build?

    I had mine IS 10, but the license was for my previous
    employer, so I'm unable to use it any more.
    I hate to do this, but I have to say no, until sometime next week; right now
    I'm swamped, and the abortive 1.2.17 and svn mail interference didn't help
    much while trying to clear this backlog of work-work :)

    InstallShield has a build-only environment, it's a matter of getting the
    appropriate license from InstallShield to deploy it for the benefit of any
    ASF project. I lost some old email archives that started the discussion,
    but I can try to revive those early in August.

    Bill

  • Trent Nelson at Jul 22, 2006 at 7:24 am

    Mladen Turk wrote:
    Bill, IIRC you have one for building
    httpd? Any chance you create this build?

    I had mine IS 10, but the license was for my previous
    employer, so I'm unable to use it any more.
    InstallShield has a build-only environment, it's a matter of getting the
    appropriate license from InstallShield to deploy it for the benefit of any
    ASF project. I lost some old email archives that started the
    discussion,
    but I can try to revive those early in August.
    Just out of interest, is there any motivation to switch to Nullsoft's
    Installer for future mod_jk/isapi_redirect releases? Given that
    tomcat's win32 installer uses this, and it's free, I would think that
    would be a better option than InstallShield. (Or am I missing something
    about the advantages of InstallShield over Nullsoft?)

    Trent.

  • Mladen Turk at Jul 22, 2006 at 7:31 am

    Trent Nelson wrote:
    Mladen Turk wrote:
    Just out of interest, is there any motivation to switch to Nullsoft's
    Installer for future mod_jk/isapi_redirect releases? Given that
    tomcat's win32 installer uses this, and it's free, I would think that
    would be a better option than InstallShield. (Or am I missing something
    about the advantages of InstallShield over Nullsoft?)
    Nullsoft lacks advanced IIS virtual directory
    creation/deletion. I suppose it can be done with
    multiple .vbs scripts.

    Anyhow, since Microsoft has a tendency to change
    the Metadatabase keys (ROOT, Root) I'm less and
    less in favor of any installer.
    But you are free to participate :)

    Regards,
    Mladen.

  • William A. Rowe, Jr. at Jul 22, 2006 at 4:12 pm

    Mladen Turk wrote:
    Trent Nelson wrote:
    Mladen Turk wrote:
    Just out of interest, is there any motivation to switch to Nullsoft's
    Installer for future mod_jk/isapi_redirect releases? Given that
    tomcat's win32 installer uses this, and it's free, I would think that
    would be a better option than InstallShield. (Or am I missing something
    about the advantages of InstallShield over Nullsoft?)
    Nullsoft lacks advanced IIS virtual directory
    creation/deletion. I suppose it can be done with
    multiple .vbs scripts.
    EWWW - no :) They are keys. Does Nullsoft provide for arbitrary msi
    table data for the IIS registration virtual directory registration?
    Opening our previous installer in orca should let you browse where the
    appropriate registration keys are.

    Any tool that doesn't provide arbitrary table data for the installer schema
    (including IS - which happens to provide it) isn't worth investigating.
    Any tool that does let us set up arbitrary columns for the .msi that is
    being prepared should allow us to manually provide more advanced iis,
    com, net registration data, even if there's no eligant support.

    Bill

  • Mladen Turk at Jul 22, 2006 at 6:23 pm

    William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
    Mladen Turk wrote:
    Nullsoft lacks advanced IIS virtual directory
    creation/deletion. I suppose it can be done with
    multiple .vbs scripts.
    EWWW - no :) They are keys.
    No, they are not. Neither are filters :)

    --
    Mladen.

  • William A. Rowe, Jr. at Jul 22, 2006 at 7:05 pm

    Mladen Turk wrote:
    William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
    Mladen Turk wrote:
    Nullsoft lacks advanced IIS virtual directory
    creation/deletion. I suppose it can be done with
    multiple .vbs scripts.
    EWWW - no :) They are keys.
    No, they are not. Neither are filters :)
    Not what I ment. Found binIISHelper - sort of bogus ;-)

    I don't see any reason not to create out own, or use the columns to add our
    Registry entries to IIS for virtual directories, or explore if a later version
    of .msi provides this functionality. InstallShield 10 often did things 'it's
    own way' rather than relying on the full msi schema, but was nice about adding
    helpers for things that had no efficient way to do them.

    I'd avoid vbs ;-) Preferable to create a lightweight .dll helper binary before
    considering that. I presume the binIISHelper is InstallShields, since they
    create the tables ISIISCommon and ISWebSite, namespace protecting them.

  • Trent Nelson at Jul 23, 2006 at 4:40 pm

    From: William A. Rowe, Jr. :
    Mladen Turk wrote:
    Trent Nelson wrote:
    Mladen Turk wrote:
    Just out of interest, is there any motivation to switch to
    Nullsoft's
    Installer for future mod_jk/isapi_redirect releases? Given that
    tomcat's win32 installer uses this, and it's free, I would think
    that
    would be a better option than InstallShield. (Or am I missing
    something about the advantages of InstallShield over Nullsoft?)
    Nullsoft lacks advanced IIS virtual directory
    creation/deletion. I suppose it can be done with
    multiple .vbs scripts.
    Does Nullsoft provide for arbitrary msi table data for the IIS
    registration virtual directory registration?
    Nullsoft doesn't provide anything MSI-related at all ;-) It simply
    compiles your script directly into an executable. The reason I
    suggested it as an alternative to InstallShield is because there are
    probably more users that could contribute to building/maintaining an
    .nsi script vs. an .ism (that requires a commercial license). Tomcat's
    installer is based on Nullsoft, after all.
    Opening our previous installer in orca should let you browse where the
    appropriate registration keys are.
    Yeah, I opened up isapi_redirect.msi with a copy of Wise I had lying
    around; I assume you're referring to the two entries in the ISIISCommon
    table?
    Any tool that doesn't provide arbitrary table data for the installer
    schema (including IS - which happens to provide it) isn't worth
    investigating.
    The thing I don't like about MSI, to quote Joel Spolsky, is that it
    suffers from ``leaky abstractions''[1]; That is, a developer should be
    able to leverage the abstraction provided by MSI tables such that they
    never have to know the underlying details behind how COM/.NET components
    are registered, how IIS virtual directories are created, etc. In
    reality, the reverse applies; the people that know how to do those tasks
    manually would rarely know how to represent the information in MSI
    tables.

    So, although Nullsoft doesn't allow you to utilize arbitrary table data,
    it does allow you to pretty much anything else, so you could manually do
    IIS virtual directory creation if need be (and you've got the added
    benefit of more people likely to know and be able to build .nsi
    scripts).

    Trent.

    [1]: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/LeakyAbstractions.html