9) Timeslider ported to kde4.2 ( *cough* couldn't resist, but put
this on the list)
10) Did I miss something..

#2 Currently planning and collecting as much information for the
proposal as possible. Today all ufs + solaris grub2 issues were
resolved and will likely be committed to upstream soon. There is a one
liner fix in the solaris kernel also needed, but that can be binary
hacked worst case.

#5/9 This also may be possible for an outside project.. either web
showcase or tighter desktop integration..

The rest may just be too difficult in a two month period, not something
which can go upstream or not enough time to really plan well enough..
Even if this isn't done for gsoc it may still be possible for the
community to pursue some of these..

To be a mentor will most likely require answering daily/weekly technical
questions, ideally being on irc and having patience. On top of this
I'll be available to help as much as technically possible, keep the
student motivated and the projects on schedule.

./Christopher

#ospkg irc.freenode.net - (Mostly OpenSolaris development rambling)

Search Discussions

  • Richard Elling at Mar 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm

    C. Bergstr?m wrote:
    For reasons which I don't care about Sun may not apply to be a gsoc
    organization this year. However, I'm not discouraged from trying to
    propose some exciting zfs related ideas. On/off list feel free to
    send your vote, let me know if you can mentor or if you know a company
    that could use it.

    Here's more or less what I've collected...

    1) Excess ditto block removing + other green-bytes zfs+ features -
    *open source* (very hard.. can't be done in two months)
    2) raidz boot support (planning phase and suitable student already
    found. could use more docs/info for proposal)
    3) Additional zfs compression choices (good for archiving non-text
    files?
    4) zfs cli interface to add safety checks (save your butt from
    deleting a pool worth more than your job)
    5) Web or gui based admin interface
    FWIW, I just took at look at the BUI in b108 and it seems to have
    garnered some love since the last time I looked at it (a year ago?)
    I encourage folks to take a fresh look at it.
    https://localhost:6789

    -- richard
    6) zfs defrag (was mentioned by someone working around petabytes of
    data..)
    7) vdev evacuation as an upgrade path (which may depend or take
    advantage of zfs resize/shrink code)
    8) zfs restore/repair tools (being worked on already?)

    #5/9 This also may be possible for an outside project.. either web
    showcase or tighter desktop integration..

    The rest may just be too difficult in a two month period, not
    something which can go upstream or not enough time to really plan well
    enough.. Even if this isn't done for gsoc it may still be possible
    for the community to pursue some of these..

    To be a mentor will most likely require answering daily/weekly
    technical questions, ideally being on irc and having patience. On top
    of this I'll be available to help as much as technically possible,
    keep the student motivated and the projects on schedule.

    ./Christopher

    #ospkg irc.freenode.net - (Mostly OpenSolaris development rambling)

  • Blake at Mar 4, 2009 at 12:10 am
    When I go here:
    http://opensolaris.org/os/project/isns/bui

    I get an error. Where are you getting BUI from?

    FWIW, I just took at look at the BUI in b108 and it seems to have
    garnered some love since the last time I looked at it (a year ago?)
    I encourage folks to take a fresh look at it.
    https://localhost:6789

    -- richard
  • Richard Elling at Mar 4, 2009 at 1:36 am

    Blake wrote:
    When I go here:

    http://opensolaris.org/os/project/isns/bui

    I get an error. ? Where are you getting BUI from?
    The BUI is in webconsole which is available on your local machine at
    port 6789
    https://localhost:6798

    If you want to access it remotely, you'll need to change the configuration
    as documented
    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1985/gdhgt?a=view

    -- richard
    On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Richard Elling
    FWIW, I just took at look at the BUI in b108 and it seems to have
    garnered some love since the last time I looked at it (a year ago?)
    I encourage folks to take a fresh look at it.
    ? https://localhost:6789

    -- richard
  • Blake at Mar 4, 2009 at 2:08 am
    That's what I thought you meant, and I got excited thinking that you were
    talking about OpenSolaris :)
    I'll see about getting the new packages and trying them out.

    I get an error. Â Where are you getting BUI from?

    On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Richard Elling <richard.elling@gmail.com<mailto: