Hello folks !

The mail archive seems to be empty and subscribers list is available
only to administrator.
So, who is around ? What brings you in ? What do you think can or
should be done here
(differently from on-discuss@os.org) ?

Or, by the way, I always thought that genunix.org should provide the general
infrastructure (separate from opensolaris.org) for stuff like this.

The ON-gate, for example, is running there at hg.genunix.org. It is a
mirror of the
official repo, but we can explore different possibilities there as well.

Cyril

Search Discussions

  • Christopher Bergström at Dec 10, 2008 at 12:23 pm

    Cyril Plisko wrote:
    Hello folks !

    The mail archive seems to be empty and subscribers list is available
    only to administrator.
    So, who is around ? What brings you in ? What do you think can or
    should be done here
    (differently from on-discuss@os.org) ?

    Or, by the way, I always thought that genunix.org should provide the general
    infrastructure (separate from opensolaris.org) for stuff like this.

    The ON-gate, for example, is running there at hg.genunix.org. It is a
    mirror of the
    official repo, but we can explore different possibilities there as well.
    Hi Cyril,

    Thanks for the enthusiasm!

    As I mentioned on the @os.o lists I'm still drafting up the
    introduction, but I hope the archive begins to get some momentum in the
    coming months. One of the biggest questions I've been trying to answer
    is which direction should we take this?

    There's a big difference between onnv-gate for noobies and lets discuss
    advanced or controversial OpenSolaris technology development. Maybe both
    can work well on the same list, but I think it depends on volume. While
    I don't anticipate this happening tomorrow I'd like to avoid it turning
    into something as chaotic as lkml.

    Please anyone feel free to speak up and share your ideas or goals.

    Cheers,

    Christopher Bergstr?m
  • Cyril Plisko at Dec 10, 2008 at 12:40 pm

    From the on-discusss:
    Thanks for your input. I explicitly set that privacy setting because I assume there would be people who prefer to stay anonymous and just watch.
    There is an option in mailman which allow each subscriber to decide
    whether to conceal themselves from the subscriber list or not.

    Cyril
  • Cyril Plisko at Dec 10, 2008 at 12:54 pm

    but I hope the archive begins to get some momentum in the coming months.
    One of the biggest questions I've been trying to answer is which direction
    should we take this?

    There's a big difference between onnv-gate for noobies and lets discuss
    advanced or controversial OpenSolaris technology development. Maybe both can
    work well on the same list, but I think it depends on volume. While I don't
    anticipate this happening tomorrow I'd like to avoid it turning into
    something as chaotic as lkml.
    Sure thing.
    Please anyone feel free to speak up and share your ideas or goals.
    I was thinking of having infrastructure similar to sf.net at, say
    genunix.org, which will help people get started with OpenSolaris
    development with virtually no overhead.
    Anyone care to comment ?
    Cyril
  • Mark Martin at Jan 16, 2009 at 4:19 am

    On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 2:23 PM, "C. Bergstr?m"
    but I hope the archive begins to get some momentum in the coming months.
    One of the biggest questions I've been trying to answer is which direction
    should we take this?

    There's a big difference between onnv-gate for noobies and lets discuss
    advanced or controversial OpenSolaris technology development. Maybe both can
    work well on the same list, but I think it depends on volume. While I don't
    anticipate this happening tomorrow I'd like to avoid it turning into
    something as chaotic as lkml.
    Sure thing.
    Please anyone feel free to speak up and share your ideas or goals.
    I was thinking of having infrastructure similar to sf.net at, say
    genunix.org, which will help people get started with OpenSolaris
    development with virtually no overhead.
    Anyone care to comment ?
    Prophetic, it would seem.

    Sorry for not responding sooner -- I'm only now going through about a
    month's backlog of email-to-respond-to.

    Where would you begin? I'm assuming we're talking about a whole new
    repository for the project, ignoring the Sun-owned and Sun-controlled
    infrastructure hosting the OpenSolaris development currently? Bug
    tracking, mailing lists, etc?

    Speaking of sf.net, why not host it there?
  • Cyril Plisko at Jan 18, 2009 at 1:58 pm

    I was thinking of having infrastructure similar to sf.net at, say
    genunix.org, which will help people get started with OpenSolaris
    development with virtually no overhead.
    Anyone care to comment ?
    Prophetic, it would seem. :)
    Sorry for not responding sooner -- I'm only now going through about a
    month's backlog of email-to-respond-to.

    Where would you begin? I'm assuming we're talking about a whole new
    repository for the project, ignoring the Sun-owned and Sun-controlled
    infrastructure hosting the OpenSolaris development currently? Bug
    tracking, mailing lists, etc?
    Yes, probably. I think current setup with Sun being in control of
    virtually everything isn't healthy.
    When Sun will decide to pull the plug (and I have no doubt Sun (the
    corporate) will do it one day, whatever the reason will be) we'd
    better have something not just prepared and ready, but rather working.
    Speaking of sf.net, why not host it there?
    Well, I was going to answer that sf.net doesn't allow one to choose
    CDDL as a license covering the hosted project, but I just checked it
    and apparently they allow it now.

    Still, having community site focused on OpenSolaris can be beneficial
    (see above)

    Cyril
  • Mark Martin at Jan 18, 2009 at 4:33 pm