I don't know how well this idea fits with MojoMojo's objectives, but I
figured I'd get it out into the ether for critiquing, and if people like it,
slated for a future release.

I was thinking MM could use an extension mechanism similar to MediaWiki's.
Here's a summary of my ideas:

- Additional page actions. I don't have a concrete example of how this
would be used, but I can see how it would come in handy.
- Modification of existing page actions. I don't know how this would work,
and if an overriden/augmented action were provided by another extension, we
would have to deal with the fun that is plugin load order.
- Additional syntax. This seems to be provided by the formatter stuff
already.
- Special pages. These could all be under /special/, or they might exist
anywhere in the hierarchy (I think all existing under /special/ and adding
redirects if you want them would be a good option). Special pages just
dispatch to extension controllers to deliver custom content, and can even
take arguments (ex. /special/calenders/home/Nov 2009).

-Rob

  • Marcus Ramberg at Nov 25, 2009 at 6:19 pm

    I don't know how well this idea fits with MojoMojo's objectives, but I
    figured I'd get it out into the ether for critiquing, and if people like it,
    slated for a future release.

    I was thinking MM could use an extension mechanism similar to MediaWiki's.
    Here's a summary of my ideas:

    - Additional page actions. ?I don't have a concrete example of how this
    would be used, but I can see how it would come in handy.
    - Modification of existing page actions. ?I don't know how this would work,
    and if an overriden/augmented action were provided by another extension, we
    would have to deal with the fun that is plugin load order.
    I am a bit of a sceptic to these two. Granted, the comment plugin adds
    some page actions, but the implementation of it is a bit of an
    abdomination in my opinion. What I really would like is support for
    external applications getting embedded at certain nodes of the wiki
    tho, for instance giving control to Angerwhale or mojolicious at /blog
    for instance, but still wrapped in the general design of the wiki. I'm
    not sure how feasible this is though.
    - Additional syntax. ?This seems to be provided by the formatter stuff
    already. Yepp
    - Special pages. ?These could all be under /special/, or they might exist
    anywhere in the hierarchy (I think all existing under /special/ and adding
    redirects if you want them would be a good option). ?Special pages just
    dispatch to extension controllers to deliver custom content, and can even
    take arguments (ex. /special/calenders/home/Nov 2009).
    This seems somewhat similar to what I am talking about above.

    With regards
    Marcus Ramberg
  • Hoelzro at Nov 26, 2009 at 2:47 am

[...]

    I understand your trepidation with this variety of plugin; we could definitely hold off on that.
    - Additional syntax. This seems to be provided by the formatter stuff
    already. Yepp
    - Special pages. These could all be under /special/, or they might exist
    anywhere in the hierarchy (I think all existing under /special/ and adding
    redirects if you want them would be a good option). Special pages just
    dispatch to extension controllers to deliver custom content, and can even
    take arguments (ex. /special/calenders/home/Nov 2009).
    This seems somewhat similar to what I am talking about above.
    Excellent. Well, I think I'll start on an implementation of special pages because it interests me greatly.
    As soon as I can log in to mojomojo.org, I'll write my notes on special pages there for critiquing and review.
    For now, special pages will only reside under /special/, as that would be easier to implement; how does that sound?
    With regards
    Marcus Ramberg

    -Rob