Ok, since this list appears to contain the brains trust for announcing
things.

We have three (and counting) things that need announcing, especially
given the current storm over various blog posts like Ovids, and
striking while the LPW iron is (hopefully) hot

1) EPO itself.
2) The extended core working group
3) The marketing working group plus (possibly) 52 weeks of Perl.
4) (perhaps) Me keynoting Perl Oasis

Announcing all of these in one go is probably going to make folks
switch off halfway down. To my mind, we also need two versions of both
- a snappy one for blogs, Perl Buzz etc, for the Perl audience, and a
more press release-y one for outside.

All I have so far is my first draft of 1) for Perl Buzz, and a list of
aims for 2), both of which are pasted below. I'd appreciate some
revision work on both, and if anyone has any more suggestions or can
take them further, please PLEASE let's get cracking

EPO announcement:
A lot of folks out there, outside the 'Perl community', have a lot
of misconceptions about the language - in fact, sometimes it seems
the most common perception of Perl that it's still the language
that's presented in early editions of the Llama and the Camel (not
that there's anything wrong with the Llama and the Camel!).

Perl's come a long way since then, and a bunch of us involved in
development of what could be called 'modern' Perl modules and
frameworks have got together and formed Enlightened Perl to try and
do something about that perception.

Why Enlightened Perl?
- Because Perl isn't dead;
- Because we're not waiting for Perl6;
- Because we believe Perl is an enterprise language;
- Because TMTOWTDI, but ours works, and scales;
- Because we think it's time.

What's it for?
- To promote the use of Perl as an enterprise-grade platform;
- To sponsor development projects that further that goal;
- To make it easier to install and deploy Perl in the enterprise;
- To specify and support a common extended core of enterprise-
quality Perl modules;
- To encourage people to write about their experiences with Perl.

What will we do?
- Solicit applications for grants for specific projects to further
our goals;
- Source funding for those grants;
- Raise the visibility of Perl as an enterprise language, both at a
developer level and a CxO/management level, within and outside the
community.

How can I help?
- Join.
- As an individual, it tells employers you're committed to the use
of Perl enterprise projects, and it gives you a chance to have a say
on our working groups
- As a company, it tells prospective and current employees you're
equally committed to the use of Perl in the enterprise; it allows
you to give back, both in a material and technical way, to the
future of Perl as a modern development language.
- Participate.
- Join one of our working groups and have your say.
- Contribute code or documentation, whether grant-backed or not;
- Write articles and/or white papers about Perl in the enterprise,
for specific target audiences.
- Use.
- Make a point, where you have a choice, of using modules from the
Enlightened Perl extended core.
- Advertise.
- Spread the word;
- Blog about us;
- Add one of our banners to your site.
EPO Extended Core working group brief
EPO is delighted to announce the formation of a working group
dedicated to working on the EP Extended Core. Its brief is the
following
a) to identify the areas of functionality an extended core needs
to cover
b) to draw up a set of recommended extended core modules which
cover the tasks required for
modern enterprise use of Perl
c) to agree on a set of minimal standards for release process,
documentation and (where possible) API for those modules
d) to liaise with the authors of those modules regarding their
inclusion in the extended core
e) to identify places where those modules fall short of the core
standards, and then
i) to advise the EP funding working group on possible fundable
projects to rectify these
ii) to define projects for GSoC 09 to rectify these
d) to liaise with major Linux/Windows etc distributions (RH,
Debian, Ubuntu, ActiveState, Strawberry Perl) to get the extended
core packaged in an appropriate manner
g) to coordinate releases of the extended core
h) (perhaps) to find a better name for the extended core
[aside: we need a small section on WHY this isn't P5EE and won't go
the same way]
--
Mike Whitaker | Perl developer, writer, guitarist, photographer
mike@altrion.org | Board member, http://www.enlightenedperl.org/

Search Discussions

  • Chris Prather at Dec 3, 2008 at 9:31 pm

    Ok, since this list appears to contain the brains trust for announcing
    things.

    We have three (and counting) things that need announcing, especially given
    the current storm over various blog posts like Ovids, and striking while the
    LPW iron is (hopefully) hot

    1) EPO itself.
    2) The extended core working group
    3) The marketing working group plus (possibly) 52 weeks of Perl.
    4) (perhaps) Me keynoting Perl Oasis
    I would love for there to be lots of press about 4 all about the
    universe. But I'm admittedly highly biased.
    Announcing all of these in one go is probably going to make folks switch off
    halfway down. To my mind, we also need two versions of both - a snappy one
    for blogs, Perl Buzz etc, for the Perl audience, and a more press release-y
    one for outside.
    I'm not sure we do, we want Perl to be seen as still having spikey
    hair, tempered with a long history of "Getting the Job Done". We're
    competing with Ruby as much as Java. What you have below seems to me
    to work well for both crowds. Punch active text, with a bold statement
    of policy.
    A lot of folks out there, outside the 'Perl community', have a lot of
    misconceptions about the language - in fact, sometimes it seems the most
    common perception of Perl that it's still the language that's presented in
    early editions of the Llama and the Camel (not that there's anything wrong
    with the Llama and the Camel!).

    Perl's come a long way since then, and a bunch of us involved in
    development of what could be called 'modern' Perl modules and frameworks
    have got together and formed Enlightened Perl to try and do something about
    that perception.

    Why Enlightened Perl?
    - Because Perl isn't dead;
    - Because we're not waiting for Perl6;
    Because Perl is an enterprise language
    - Because TMTOWTDI, but ours works, and scales;
    Because it's time
    What's it for?
    - To promote the use of Perl as an enterprise-grade platform;
    - To sponsor development, marketing, and support of projects that
[...]

    - Discuss.
    - Spread the word;
    - Blog about us;
    - Add one of our banners to your site.
    I've just tried to make the text you have hit a bit harder, removed
    the phrases "we think" in favor of more direct sentiment, and changed
    some passive verbs (advertise) to active verbs ("discuss"). I quite
    like both the initial bullets

    Why Enlightened Perl?
    - Because Perl isn't dead;
    - Because we're not waiting for Perl6;
    - Because Perl is an enterprise language
    - Because TMTOWTDI, but ours works, and scales;
    - Because it's time

    And the triplet Join | Use | Discuss. They nicely pull out the basic
    theme, and the call to action motif.
    EPO Extended Core working group brief
    EPO is delighted to announce the formation of a working group
    dedicated to working on the EP Extended Core. It's goals are:
    a) to identify the areas of functionality an extended core needs to cover
    b) to draw up a set of recommended extended core modules which cover the
    tasks required for
    modern enterprise use of Perl
    c) to agree on a set of minimal standards for release process,
    documentation and (where possible) API for those modules
    d) to liaise with the authors of those modules regarding their inclusion
    in the extended core
    e) to identify places where those modules fall short of the core
    standards, and then
    i) to advise the EP funding working group on possible fundable
    projects to rectify these
    ii) to define projects for GSoC 09 and future hackathon's to
    rectify these
    d) to liaise with major Linux/Windows etc distributions (RH, Debian,
    Ubuntu, ActiveState, Strawberry Perl) to get the extended core packaged in
    an appropriate manner
    g) to coordinate releases of the extended core
    h) (perhaps) to find a better name for the extended core
    [aside: we need a small section on WHY this isn't P5EE and won't go the same
    way]
    Here I just Americanized the phrase "it's brief is the following" to
    "It's goals are" ... the latter works on both sides of the pond I
    think, the former sounds bad to American ears. I also added a phrase
    to teh GSoC line about future hackathons as well, so we don't put all
    our eggs in the GSoC basket, not everybody is a student, and not
    everybody will get paid ... but we would like them to still contribute
    technically where possible.

    Finally, I think we need to figure out how many people have heard of
    P5EE, I've heard of it but I don't know it got much uptake outside a
    small community. How much of a problem *will* it be for us marketing
    wise?

    I'll work on a press release type thingy for Perl Oasis.

    -Chris
  • Jay Shirley at Dec 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm

[...]

    However much I hate Wikis, I think that for the drafts going out it
    may be prudent to use one... or perhaps some other revision control
    mechanism (outside of Email and Microsoft Word's "Track Changes"
    features)

    Thoughts?

    -J
  • Mike Whitaker at Dec 4, 2008 at 9:19 am
    However much I hate Wikis, I think that for the drafts going out it
    may be prudent to use one... or perhaps some other revision control
    mechanism (outside of Email and Microsoft Word's "Track Changes"
    features)

    Google Docs?
    (please don't tell my colleagues I said that :) :) )
    --
    Mike Whitaker | Perl developer, writer, guitarist, photographer
    mike@altrion.org | Board member, http://www.enlightenedperl.org/
    Y!: tuxservers | Blog: http://perlent.blogspot.com/
    IRC: Penfold | Yahoo! UK Ltd - internal CMS team
  • Mike Whitaker at Dec 4, 2008 at 9:29 am
    However much I hate Wikis, I think that for the drafts going out it
    may be prudent to use one... or perhaps some other revision control
    mechanism (outside of Email and Microsoft Word's "Track Changes"
    features)

    Google Docs?
    (please don't tell my colleagues I said that :) :) )
    I have JFDI'd. Interested parties please furnish me with your Google
    IDs.
    --
    Mike Whitaker - mike@altrion.org
  • Chris Prather at Dec 4, 2008 at 1:27 pm

    However much I hate Wikis, I think that for the drafts going out it
    may be prudent to use one... or perhaps some other revision control
    mechanism (outside of Email and Microsoft Word's "Track Changes"
    features)

    Google Docs?
    (please don't tell my colleagues I said that :) :) )
    I have JFDI'd. Interested parties please furnish me with your Google IDs.
    perigrin@gmail.com

    -Chris
  • Mike Whitaker at Dec 4, 2008 at 1:29 pm

    I have JFDI'd. Interested parties please furnish me with your
    Google IDs.
    perigrin@gmail.com

    As you've all probably noticed by now, I figured out how to invite the
    whole list anyway.
    --
    Mike Whitaker - mike@altrion.org

groupepo-marketing @