Hi,
I've tried installing the web-stomp plugin on Debian Squeeze, following
the notes here:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/05/14/introducing-rabbitmq-web-stomp/

However, Rabbit fails to start, with the error:
Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
Kernel pid terminated (application_controller)
({application_start_failure,cowboy,{shutdown,{cowboy_app,start,[normal,[]]}}})

I've uploaded that erl_crash.dump here (compressed):
http://dryft.net/tmp/erl_crash.dump.bz2

Toby

Search Discussions

  • Toby Corkindale at Jun 21, 2012 at 5:25 am

    I've tried installing the web-stomp plugin on Debian Squeeze, following
    the notes here:
    http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/05/14/introducing-rabbitmq-web-stomp/

    However, Rabbit fails to start, with the error:
    Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
    Kernel pid terminated (application_controller)
    ({application_start_failure,cowboy,{shutdown,{cowboy_app,start,[normal,[]]}}})
    PS. I've tried on Ubuntu Precise, and it works OK there, using exactly
    the same .deb file.
  • Marek Majkowski at Jun 21, 2012 at 11:33 am

    I've tried installing the web-stomp plugin on Debian Squeeze, following
    the notes here:
    http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/05/14/introducing-rabbitmq-web-stomp/

    However, Rabbit fails to start, with the error:
    Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
    Kernel pid terminated (application_controller)

    ({application_start_failure,cowboy,{shutdown,{cowboy_app,start,[normal,[]]}}})

    PS. I've tried on Ubuntu Precise, and it works OK there, using exactly the
    same .deb file.
    Most likely you're using too old erlang runtime on debian. As mentioned
    in the blog post [1], you need Erlang R14.

    Can you make sure that you have at least R14 on debian?

    [1] http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/05/14/introducing-rabbitmq-web-stomp/

    Marek
  • Toby Corkindale at Jun 22, 2012 at 6:38 am

    On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Toby Corkindale
    I've tried installing the web-stomp plugin on Debian Squeeze, following
    the notes here:
    http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/05/14/introducing-rabbitmq-web-stomp/

    However, Rabbit fails to start, with the error:
    Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
    Kernel pid terminated (application_controller)

    ({application_start_failure,cowboy,{shutdown,{cowboy_app,start,[normal,[]]}}})

    PS. I've tried on Ubuntu Precise, and it works OK there, using exactly the
    same .deb file.
    Most likely you're using too old erlang runtime on debian. As mentioned
    in the blog post [1], you need Erlang R14.

    Can you make sure that you have at least R14 on debian?
    Yes, I know, and Erlang on Debian Squeeze is R14.
    It's 14A on Debian, but Ubuntu has 14B.. I don't know if that's significant?

    -Toby
  • Marek Majkowski at Jun 22, 2012 at 9:16 am

[...]

    I just tried running it on R14A and it failed with the same error.

    I'm afraid the simplest workaround is to upgrade erlang R14B.

    Mark
  • Marek Majkowski at Jun 22, 2012 at 9:53 am

    Yes, I know, and Erlang on Debian Squeeze is R14.
    It's 14A on Debian, but Ubuntu has 14B.. I don't know if that's significant?
    I just tried running it on R14A and it failed with the same error.

    I'm afraid the simplest workaround is to upgrade erlang R14B.
    We were able to identify the problem. It'll be fixed on the next release.

    Marek
  • Toby Corkindale at Jun 25, 2012 at 1:55 am

    Yes, I know, and Erlang on Debian Squeeze is R14.
    It's 14A on Debian, but Ubuntu has 14B.. I don't know if that's significant?
    I just tried running it on R14A and it failed with the same error.

    I'm afraid the simplest workaround is to upgrade erlang R14B.
    We were able to identify the problem. It'll be fixed on the next release.
    Thanks!

    Will you have builds for the new version of RabbitMQ too?

    ta,
    Toby
  • Toby Corkindale at Jun 25, 2012 at 2:11 am

    Yes, I know, and Erlang on Debian Squeeze is R14.
    It's 14A on Debian, but Ubuntu has 14B.. I don't know if that's
    significant?
    I just tried running it on R14A and it failed with the same error.

    I'm afraid the simplest workaround is to upgrade erlang R14B.
    We were able to identify the problem. It'll be fixed on the next release.
    Thanks!

    Will you have builds for the new version of RabbitMQ too?
    PS. I tried building rabbitmq-web-stomp myself, but it depends upon
    "cowboy-wrapper" and "sockjs-erlang-wrapper", neither of which I could
    find in the wild.
  • Toby Corkindale at Jun 25, 2012 at 2:45 am

    Yes, I know, and Erlang on Debian Squeeze is R14.
    It's 14A on Debian, but Ubuntu has 14B.. I don't know if that's
    significant?
    I just tried running it on R14A and it failed with the same error.

    I'm afraid the simplest workaround is to upgrade erlang R14B.
    We were able to identify the problem. It'll be fixed on the next
    release.
    Thanks!

    Will you have builds for the new version of RabbitMQ too?
    PS. I tried building rabbitmq-web-stomp myself, but it depends upon
    "cowboy-wrapper" and "sockjs-erlang-wrapper", neither of which I could
    find in the wild.
    PPS. I managed to make my own wrappers for those modules, and thus build
    everything from source for 2.8.4.. and rabbitmq starts up and lets
    clients connect to the web-stomp port... but now no messages actually
    get transmitted between the sender and receiver.
  • Matthias Radestock at Jun 25, 2012 at 4:52 am
    Toby,
    Will you have builds for the new version of RabbitMQ too?
    The existing build should work just fine; the code hasn't changed.
    PS. I tried building rabbitmq-web-stomp myself, but it depends upon
    "cowboy-wrapper" and "sockjs-erlang-wrapper", neither of which I could
    find in the wild.
    As above, the existing builds should work.

    If you want to build from source, you can find all required plug-ins in
    our hg repo. Just follow the generic plugin build instructions at
    instructions at
    http://www.rabbitmq.com/plugin-development.html#getting-started.

    Regards,

    Matthias.
  • Toby Corkindale at Jun 25, 2012 at 9:40 am

    Will you have builds for the new version of RabbitMQ too?
    The existing build should work just fine; the code hasn't changed.
    PS. I tried building rabbitmq-web-stomp myself, but it depends upon
    "cowboy-wrapper" and "sockjs-erlang-wrapper", neither of which I could
    find in the wild.
    As above, the existing builds should work.

    If you want to build from source, you can find all required plug-ins in
    our hg repo. Just follow the generic plugin build instructions at
    instructions at
    http://www.rabbitmq.com/plugin-development.html#getting-started.
    Hi Matthias,
    I did follow those instructions, and checked out the public-umbrella
    repo -- however it didn't include the cowboy-wrapper or sockjs-wrapper
    plugins, and I'm not familiar with Mercurial.

    Were they in a separate repository?

    (However, I'll try running with the old builds if that does actually
    work.. I thought there was some kind of version-checking that would
    prevent it)

    thanks,
    Toby
  • Matthias Radestock at Jun 25, 2012 at 9:53 am
    Toby,
    If you want to build from source, you can find all required plug-ins in
    our hg repo. Just follow the generic plugin build instructions at
    instructions at
    http://www.rabbitmq.com/plugin-development.html#getting-started.
    Hi Matthias,
    I did follow those instructions, and checked out the public-umbrella
    repo -- however it didn't include the cowboy-wrapper or sockjs-wrapper
    plugins
    Ah yes, that's because they are not officially released yet. You'll need
    to clone them manually inside the public umbrella, i.e.

    $ cd rabbitmq-public-umbrella
    $ hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/cowboy-wrapper
    $ hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/sockjs-erlang-wrapper
    (However, I'll try running with the old builds if that does actually
    work.. I thought there was some kind of version-checking that would
    prevent it)
    During startup the broker issues warnings for undefined functions, which
    is what you'd typically get when internal APIs have changed in
    incompatible ways or when running against too old an Erlang. There are
    no version checks.

    Regards,

    Matthias.

grouprabbitmq-discuss @