Grokbase Groups R r-help June 2016
Hello everyone,
I'm writing a function in R but was stalked.
I have a data set that contains mixture of categorical and continuous
variables. I want to use the categorical variables to cross-tabulate the
data and extract the observations in the resulting cells that contain only
continuous variables.

Data.
X1 X2 X3 X4 X5
2.4 5.3 4.8 0 1
4.2 3.2 4.8 1 1
3.3 4.4 5.1 0 0
5.2 1.1 2.5 1 0
.
.
.
3.7 2.8 3.8 0 1

Thanks.

  [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Search Discussions

  • PIKAL Petr at Jun 17, 2016 at 2:23 pm
    Hi

    did you try table or xtabs?

    Cheers
    Petr

    I'm writing a function in R but was stalked.
    I have a data set that contains mixture of categorical and continuous
    variables. I want to use the categorical variables to cross-tabulate the data
    and extract the observations in the resulting cells that contain only
    continuous variables.

    Data.
    X1 X2 X3 X4 X5
    2.4 5.3 4.8 0 1
    4.2 3.2 4.8 1 1
    3.3 4.4 5.1 0 0
    5.2 1.1 2.5 1 0
    .
    .
    .
    3.7 2.8 3.8 0 1

    Thanks.

    [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

    guide.html

    ________________________________
    Tento e-mail a jak?koliv k n?mu p?ipojen? dokumenty jsou d?v?rn? a jsou ur?eny pouze jeho adres?t?m.
    Jestli?e jste obdr?el(a) tento e-mail omylem, informujte laskav? neprodlen? jeho odes?latele. Obsah tohoto emailu i s p??lohami a jeho kopie vyma?te ze sv?ho syst?mu.
    Nejste-li zam??len?m adres?tem tohoto emailu, nejste opr?vn?ni tento email jakkoliv u??vat, roz?i?ovat, kop?rovat ?i zve?ej?ovat.
    Odes?latel e-mailu neodpov?d? za eventu?ln? ?kodu zp?sobenou modifikacemi ?i zpo?d?n?m p?enosu e-mailu.

    V p??pad?, ?e je tento e-mail sou??st? obchodn?ho jedn?n?:
    - vyhrazuje si odes?latel pr?vo ukon?it kdykoliv jedn?n? o uzav?en? smlouvy, a to z jak?hokoliv d?vodu i bez uveden? d?vodu.
    - a obsahuje-li nab?dku, je adres?t opr?vn?n nab?dku bezodkladn? p?ijmout; Odes?latel tohoto e-mailu (nab?dky) vylu?uje p?ijet? nab?dky ze strany p??jemce s dodatkem ?i odchylkou.
    - trv? odes?latel na tom, ?e p??slu?n? smlouva je uzav?ena teprve v?slovn?m dosa?en?m shody na v?ech jej?ch n?le?itostech.
    - odes?latel tohoto emailu informuje, ?e nen? opr?vn?n uzav?rat za spole?nost ??dn? smlouvy s v?jimkou p??pad?, kdy k tomu byl p?semn? zmocn?n nebo p?semn? pov??en a takov? pov??en? nebo pln? moc byly adres?tovi tohoto emailu p??padn? osob?, kterou adres?t zastupuje, p?edlo?eny nebo jejich existence je adres?tovi ?i osob? j?m zastoupen? zn?m?.

    This e-mail and any documents attached to it may be confidential and are intended only for its intended recipients.
    If you received this e-mail by mistake, please immediately inform its sender. Delete the contents of this e-mail with all attachments and its copies from your system.
    If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are not authorized to use, disseminate, copy or disclose this e-mail in any manner.
    The sender of this e-mail shall not be liable for any possible damage caused by modifications of the e-mail or by delay with transfer of the email.

    In case that this e-mail forms part of business dealings:
    - the sender reserves the right to end negotiations about entering into a contract in any time, for any reason, and without stating any reasoning.
    - if the e-mail contains an offer, the recipient is entitled to immediately accept such offer; The sender of this e-mail (offer) excludes any acceptance of the offer on the part of the recipient containing any amendment or variation.
    - the sender insists on that the respective contract is concluded only upon an express mutual agreement on all its aspects.
    - the sender of this e-mail informs that he/she is not authorized to enter into any contracts on behalf of the company except for cases in which he/she is expressly authorized to do so in writing, and such authorization or power of attorney is submitted to the recipient or the person represented by the recipient, or the existence of such authorization is known to the recipient of the person represented by the recipient.
  • David L Carlson at Jun 17, 2016 at 3:26 pm
    Your request is not clear. If you want to analyze the numeric variables by the groups formed by the categorical variables, try something like this.

    # Create reproducible data
    set.seed(42)
    x <- data.frame(matrix(rnorm(75, 5), 25), X4=sample(0:1, 25,
    + replace=TRUE), X5=sample(0:1, 25, replace=TRUE))
    head(x)
             X1 X2 X3 X4 X5
    1 6.370958 4.569531 5.321925 1 0
    2 4.435302 4.742731 4.216161 0 1
    3 5.363128 3.236837 6.575728 1 1
    4 5.632863 5.460097 5.642899 0 1
    5 5.404268 4.360005 5.089761 1 1
    6 4.893875 5.455450 5.276551 1 1
    # Use split() to create a list of data frames
    grps <- apply(x[, 4:5], 1, paste0, collapse="")
    x.grps <- split(x[, 1:3], grps)
    names(x.grps)
    [1] "00" "01" "10" "11"
    x.grps[["00"]] # or x.grps[[1]]
              X1 X2 X3
    8 4.905341 6.035104 5.089833
    9 7.018424 4.391074 2.006910
    14 4.721211 2.585792 6.399737
    16 5.635950 5.205999 6.302543
    18 2.343545 5.758163 6.038506
    19 2.559533 4.273295 5.920729
    20 6.320113 3.631719 5.720878
    23 4.828083 6.444101 5.623518

    -------------------------------------
    David L Carlson
    Department of Anthropology
    Texas A&M University
    College Station, TX 77840-4352

[...]

  • MacQueen, Don at Jun 17, 2016 at 4:15 pm
    I don't know exactly what you mean, but perhaps this will get you started:

    This:
    subset(Data, X4==1 & X5==1, select=c(X1, X2, X3))
    will extract the continuous variables in the cross-tabulation cell for
    which X4 and X5 are both equal to one. Similar commands will extract the
    other cells.

    Of course, this gets tedious if your categorical variables have more than
    two levels.

    -Don

    --
    Don MacQueen

    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    7000 East Ave., L-627
    Livermore, CA 94550
    925-423-1062

    On 6/17/16, 5:25 AM, "R-help on behalf of Gafar Matanmi Oyeyemi"