Grokbase Groups R r-help June 2016
Hi all,
I want to use Supervised Self organizing Maps from Kohonen package for my data. I need to divide my df into training set and test set, but a part of my df contains column with factor levels and I don't know how to bring them into my training set. Currently I use the following command for my training set:

     dt=sort(sample(nrow(df),nrow(df)*.7))
     training=m[dt,]
till here I get no error but in the next step which I need to bring my training set in a matrix I face this error:

     scale(df[training,])
error: 'x' should be numeric
Does anyone know how should I include column with factor levels in my df so that I don't get this error?
Thanks for any help,
Elahe

Search Discussions

  • Chalabi Elahe at Jun 14, 2016 at 3:28 pm
    Hi all,
    I want to use Supervised Self organizing Maps from Kohonen package for my data. I need to divide my df into training set and test set, but a part of my df contains column with factor levels and I don't know how to bring them into my training set. Currently I use the following command for my training set:

         dt=sort(sample(nrow(df),nrow(df)*.7))
         training=m[dt,]
    till here I get no error but in the next step which I need to bring my training set in a matrix I face this error:

         scale(df[training,])
    error: 'x' should be numeric
    Does anyone know how should I include column with factor levels in my df so that I don't get this error?
    Thanks for any help,
    Elahe
  • PIKAL Petr at Jun 15, 2016 at 9:19 am
    Hi Elahe

    I get slightly different error when using scale to nonnumeric data so I am not sure if you use the scale function from base package.

    scale(raman[1:20,])
    Error in colMeans(x, na.rm = TRUE) : 'x' must be numeric

    Anyway, how do you expect scaling shall be done when you have nonumeric variable. What shall be the output of

    scale(iris$Species)

    The only workaround is either to scale only numeric variables from your data and add nonnumeric in folowing step or to change all factor variable to numeric before scaling (which I would not recommend).

    If your data are supposed to be numeric you can check if they really are by

    str(df)

    Cheers
    Petr

    I want to use Supervised Self organizing Maps from Kohonen package for my
    data. I need to divide my df into training set and test set, but a part of my df
    contains column with factor levels and I don't know how to bring them into
    my training set. Currently I use the following command for my training set:

    dt=sort(sample(nrow(df),nrow(df)*.7))
    training=m[dt,]
    till here I get no error but in the next step which I need to bring my training
    set in a matrix I face this error:

    scale(df[training,])
    error: 'x' should be numeric
    Does anyone know how should I include column with factor levels in my df so
    that I don't get this error?
    Thanks for any help,
    Elahe

    guide.html

    ________________________________
    Tento e-mail a jak?koliv k n?mu p?ipojen? dokumenty jsou d?v?rn? a jsou ur?eny pouze jeho adres?t?m.
    Jestli?e jste obdr?el(a) tento e-mail omylem, informujte laskav? neprodlen? jeho odes?latele. Obsah tohoto emailu i s p??lohami a jeho kopie vyma?te ze sv?ho syst?mu.
    Nejste-li zam??len?m adres?tem tohoto emailu, nejste opr?vn?ni tento email jakkoliv u??vat, roz?i?ovat, kop?rovat ?i zve?ej?ovat.
    Odes?latel e-mailu neodpov?d? za eventu?ln? ?kodu zp?sobenou modifikacemi ?i zpo?d?n?m p?enosu e-mailu.

    V p??pad?, ?e je tento e-mail sou??st? obchodn?ho jedn?n?:
    - vyhrazuje si odes?latel pr?vo ukon?it kdykoliv jedn?n? o uzav?en? smlouvy, a to z jak?hokoliv d?vodu i bez uveden? d?vodu.
    - a obsahuje-li nab?dku, je adres?t opr?vn?n nab?dku bezodkladn? p?ijmout; Odes?latel tohoto e-mailu (nab?dky) vylu?uje p?ijet? nab?dky ze strany p??jemce s dodatkem ?i odchylkou.
    - trv? odes?latel na tom, ?e p??slu?n? smlouva je uzav?ena teprve v?slovn?m dosa?en?m shody na v?ech jej?ch n?le?itostech.
    - odes?latel tohoto emailu informuje, ?e nen? opr?vn?n uzav?rat za spole?nost ??dn? smlouvy s v?jimkou p??pad?, kdy k tomu byl p?semn? zmocn?n nebo p?semn? pov??en a takov? pov??en? nebo pln? moc byly adres?tovi tohoto emailu p??padn? osob?, kterou adres?t zastupuje, p?edlo?eny nebo jejich existence je adres?tovi ?i osob? j?m zastoupen? zn?m?.

    This e-mail and any documents attached to it may be confidential and are intended only for its intended recipients.
    If you received this e-mail by mistake, please immediately inform its sender. Delete the contents of this e-mail with all attachments and its copies from your system.
    If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are not authorized to use, disseminate, copy or disclose this e-mail in any manner.
    The sender of this e-mail shall not be liable for any possible damage caused by modifications of the e-mail or by delay with transfer of the email.

    In case that this e-mail forms part of business dealings:
    - the sender reserves the right to end negotiations about entering into a contract in any time, for any reason, and without stating any reasoning.
    - if the e-mail contains an offer, the recipient is entitled to immediately accept such offer; The sender of this e-mail (offer) excludes any acceptance of the offer on the part of the recipient containing any amendment or variation.
    - the sender insists on that the respective contract is concluded only upon an express mutual agreement on all its aspects.
    - the sender of this e-mail informs that he/she is not authorized to enter into any contracts on behalf of the company except for cases in which he/she is expressly authorized to do so in writing, and such authorization or power of attorney is submitted to the recipient or the person represented by the recipient, or the existence of such authorization is known to the recipient of the person represented by the recipient.

groupr-help @
categoriesr
postedJun 14, '16 at 3:00p
activeJun 15, '16 at 9:19a
websiter-project.org
irc#r

2 users in discussion

Chalabi Elahe: 2 posts PIKAL Petr: 1 post