Grokbase Groups R r-help August 2012
Both the official R documentation and Wolfgang's paper in the Journal of
Statistical Science describing this (extremely useful) package, name the
control variable for maximum iterations in numeric model fitting as
'maxiter'. The correct name is 'maxit'. A small point concerning an (I
guess) infrequently used bit of functionality, but this may help save
someone an hour or so's head scratching!

John Hodgson

Search Discussions

  • Michael Weylandt at Aug 16, 2012 at 2:19 am
    Send this to Wolfgang directly. See

    maintainer("metaphor")

    Michael
    Both the official R documentation and Wolfgang's paper in the Journal of
    Statistical Science describing this (extremely useful) package, name the
    control variable for maximum iterations in numeric model fitting as
    'maxiter'. The correct name is 'maxit'. A small point concerning an (I
    guess) infrequently used bit of functionality, but this may help save
    someone an hour or so's head scratching!

    John Hodgson

  • Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) at Aug 16, 2012 at 6:01 pm
    I had noticed this oversight a while ago. In an updated version of the metafor package (hopefully to be released in the near future), the argument will be called "maxiter" (as intended). Using "maxit" will then work as well, due to partial matching.

    Thanks for bringing this to my attention though.

    Also, the package name is "metafor" (spelled with an f). It's supposed to be a (convoluted) abbreviation for "META-analysis FOr R"). I suppose "metaphor" would then be "META-analysis PHOr R", but I decided against that (other candidates were metaforR, metafoR, and a few others). Well, at the time, I thought the name "metafor" was clever. These days, I am not so sure anymore.

    Best,

    Wolfgang

    --
    Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
    Department of Psychiatry and Psychology

    Both the official R documentation and Wolfgang's paper in the Journal of
    Statistical Science describing this (extremely useful) package, name the
    control variable for maximum iterations in numeric model fitting as
    'maxiter'. The correct name is 'maxit'. A small point concerning an (I
    guess) infrequently used bit of functionality, but this may help save
    someone an hour or so's head scratching!

    John Hodgson

    guide.html
  • Michael Dewey at Aug 17, 2012 at 11:40 am

    I had noticed this oversight a while ago. In an updated version of
    the metafor package (hopefully to be released in the near future),
    the argument will be called "maxiter" (as intended). Using "maxit"
    will then work as well, due to partial matching.

    Thanks for bringing this to my attention though.

    Also, the package name is "metafor" (spelled with an f). It's
    supposed to be a (convoluted) abbreviation for "META-analysis FOr
    R"). I suppose "metaphor" would then be "META-analysis PHOr R", but
    I decided against that (other candidates were metaforR, metafoR, and
    a few others). Well, at the time, I thought the name "metafor" was
    clever. These days, I am not so sure anymore.
    The big advantage of metafor is that it is not the (English) word for
    metaphor so making Google searching for metafor a lot easier (at
    least from my location). Readers in the Nordic countries mileage
    probably varies here.

    Best,

    Wolfgang

    info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk