Grokbase Groups R r-help June 2012

For some dataset I have made a histogram, boxplot en qqplot.
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4634093/Naamloos.jpg

Investigate the data with the given functions for making QQ-plots and find
an appropriate location-scale family for the underlying distribution of this
sample. Apart from giving a proper location-scale family, also specify the
member of the location-scale family that is most close to the underlying
distribution of the data, in other words, give estimates for the location
and scale of the underlying distribution of the data.

I think it is from a t-distribution because the qqplot has some slight
tails.

Please some guidance in the right direction: how can I obtain the location,
scale and underlying distribution?
(I am not looking for answering the question but more in general information
about to obtain location, scale and underlying distribution so I can apply
that information myself to answer the questin)

Noor

  • R. Michael Weylandt at Jun 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm
    This has the distinctive sound of homework and we unfortunately can't
    help with that.

    You might want to look at fitdistr in the MASS package though.

    Best of luck to you though,
    Michael

    On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Noor.v.d.Assem