Grokbase Groups R r-help May 2012

[R] masked by GlobalEnv ???

Jhope
May 12, 2012 at 10:54 am
Hi R Listers,

I am trying to upload a data file and I received this message. It seems that
I am still able to make graphs and Aeventexhumed still works in the
analysis. Can I ignore this message or do I need to do something about this?

Jean
require(plyr)
turtlehatch <- read.csv(file.choose())
attach(turtlehatch)
The following object(s) are masked _by_ '.GlobalEnv':

Aeventexhumed, DeadHatch, ExDate, Hatchlings, MaxHatch, Oldeggs,
Quadrat,
QuadratEvent, ST0, ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4, Sector, Shells, TotalEggs

reply

  • R. Michael Weylandt at May 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm
    The right response is not to use attach().

    What's going on is that you have objects by those names in your global
    workspace and in the object you are attaching. Since .GlobalEnv is
    always (?) first on the search path, you won't be able to see those
    that you just added unless you remove the ones in .GlobalEnv (which
    name lookup will find first) Whether this is something you need to do
    something about is up to you -- it depends which ones you want to
    access.

    Still, I'll repeat -- the right answer is don't use attach().

    Michael
    I am trying to upload a data file and I received this message. It seems that
    I am still able to make graphs and Aeventexhumed still works in the
    analysis. Can I ignore this message or do I need to do something about this?

    Jean
    require(plyr)
    turtlehatch <- read.csv(file.choose())
    attach(turtlehatch)
    The following object(s) are masked _by_ '.GlobalEnv':

    ? ?Aeventexhumed, DeadHatch, ExDate, Hatchlings, MaxHatch, Oldeggs,
    Quadrat,
    ? ?QuadratEvent, ST0, ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4, Sector, Shells, TotalEggs

  • Martin Maechler at May 12, 2012 at 3:05 pm

    R Michael Weylandt <mic...@...com>
    The right response is not to use attach(). What's going
    on is that you have objects by those names in your global
    workspace and in the object you are attaching. Since
    .GlobalEnv is always (?) first on the search path, you
    won't be able to see those that you just added unless you
    remove the ones in .GlobalEnv (which name lookup will find
    first) Whether this is something you need to do something
    about is up to you -- it depends which ones you want to
    access.
    Still, I'll repeat -- the right answer is don't use attach().
    Michael
    Thank you Michael.
    Specifically, I would slightly change that to say
    " only use attach() instead of load() "
    since the latter overwrites objects in .GlobalEnv,
    I do recommend using the former in this case.

    Martin Maechler
    ETH Zurich and R core Team