Grokbase Groups R r-help May 2011

[R] R won't start keeps crashing

Bazman76
May 12, 2011 at 9:09 am
Hi there,

I am reletively new user I only dowloaded is about a week ago.

I was getting along fine but last night I tried to selected save workspace.

Since then R will not work!!!! And I really really need it.

There are two eror massages:

The first if a pop up box is "Fatal error: unable to resolve data in
.RData."

The second is a message in the GUI: "Error in loadNamespace(name) there is
no package called vars.

When I click to dismiss the message box the whole thing just shuts down!!

I have tried reinstalling but it has made no difference.

Please Help

reply

  • Uwe Ligges at May 12, 2011 at 11:17 am
    Delete the file .RData in your working directory and try to start R again.

    Uwe Ligges

    I am reletively new user I only dowloaded is about a week ago.

    I was getting along fine but last night I tried to selected save workspace.

    Since then R will not work!!!! And I really really need it.

    There are two eror massages:

    The first if a pop up box is "Fatal error: unable to resolve data in
    .RData."

    The second is a message in the GUI: "Error in loadNamespace(name) there is
    no package called vars.

    When I click to dismiss the message box the whole thing just shuts down!!

    I have tried reinstalling but it has made no difference.

    Please Help

  • Bazman76 at May 12, 2011 at 11:57 am
    OK I did a seach for the files and got:

    .Rdata which is 206KB
    Canada.Rdata which is 3kB

    If I click on .Rdata I get the crash.

    If I click on Canada.Rdata the system starts?

    also they are stored in different places?

    .Rdata is in My documents
    Canada.RData is in My Documents\vars\vars\data

    I assume I should delete .Rdata, should I also delete the other file?
    Where should these files be stored?

    I think the .RData was a result of my trying to save the workspace. Are
    there files being saved to the correct location?

    Thanks for your help

  • Jonathan Daily at May 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm
    This is not very informative. What exactly is crashing? What is your
    sessionInfo() output?
    If I click on Canada.Rdata the system starts?
    Does it? How would I know?
    also they are stored in different places? Are they?
    .Rdata is in My documents
    Canada.RData is in My Documents\vars\vars\data

    I assume I should delete .Rdata, should I also delete the other file?
    Where should these files be stored?

    I think the .RData was a result of my trying to save the workspace. Are
    there files being saved to the correct location?

    Thanks for your help

    What happens when you try the ?load command from R ala:

    load("C:/path/to/file")

    Jon Daily
    Technician
    #!/usr/bin/env outside
    # It's great, trust me.
  • Bazman76 at May 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm
    http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3517669/R_crash.jpg

    OK when I click on the .RData file I get the screen above. Also when I start
    R from the desktop icon or from select if from programs I get the same
    result.

    The warning message is in focus and I can not move the focus to the GUI.
    When I either click to dismiss the message of click to close it the whole
    session shuts down.

    So I can not enter the commands you sugested into this corrupt version.

    However, when I click on the Canada.Rdata the R session starts and seems to
    function normally.

    Here are the results of the functions you requested. Not sure if they will
    help given that this version is workfing?
    sessionInfo()
    R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
    Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

    locale:
    [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252
    [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
    [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252
    [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
    [5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252

    attached base packages:
    [1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

    load("C:/path/to/file")
    Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
    In addition: Warning message:
    In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
    cannot open compressed file 'C:/path/to/file', probable reason 'No such
    file or directory'
    Sorry if I gave you the wrong information previously, just let me know what
    you want.

  • Jonathan Daily at May 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm
    I have some suggestions inline below. My biggest suggestion would be
    to read the help files that came with R, especially the section
    "Invoking R" in "An Introduction to R".
    OK when I click on the .RData file I get the screen above. Also when I start
    R from the desktop icon or from select if from programs I get the same
    result.
    This may mean that you answered yes to the exit prompt asking you to
    save your workspace, especially if you didn't attempt to save a file
    ".Rdata"
[...]

    Replace "path/to/file" with the path to your file.
    Sorry if I gave you the wrong information previously, just let me know what
    you want.

    Jon Daily
    Technician
    #!/usr/bin/env outside
    # It's great, trust me.
  • Bazman76 at May 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm
    I will read the intor to R.

    When closing I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to save the workspace I
    just clicked yes?

    here is what I got

    load("C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My Documents/vars/vars/data")
    Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
    In addition: Warning message:
    In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
    cannot open compressed file 'C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My
    Documents/vars/vars/data', probable reason 'Permission denied'

  • Ivan Calandra at May 13, 2011 at 10:03 am
    I'm no expert, but checking the R-help list, I got the impression that
    saving a workspace often leads to problems.
    The interesting question (for me) would be to know why and how the
    corrupted file got corrupted, and then, what to do to avoid the problem
    if one really wants to save the workspace.

    For you Bazman76, I would advise you to never save the workspace. Save
    all command lines in a script (*.R) and important objects to files
    (either with save() and then load(), or one of the write functions, or
    saveObject()/loadObject from package R.utils, and so on).
    Someone please correct me if it is a bad practice.

    HTH,
    Ivan
    Le 5/12/2011 18:27, Bazman76 a ?crit :
    I will read the intor to R.

    When closing I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to save the workspace I
    just clicked yes?

    here is what I got

    load("C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My Documents/vars/vars/data")
    Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
    In addition: Warning message:
    In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
    cannot open compressed file 'C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My
    Documents/vars/vars/data', probable reason 'Permission denied'

    Ivan CALANDRA
    PhD Student
    University of Hamburg
    Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
    Abt. S?ugetiere
    Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
    D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
    +49(0)40 42838 6231
    ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de

    **********
    http://www.for771.uni-bonn.de
    http://webapp5.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/mammals/eng/1525_8_1.php
  • Duncan Murdoch at May 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

    I'm no expert, but checking the R-help list, I got the impression that
    saving a workspace often leads to problems.
    The interesting question (for me) would be to know why and how the
    corrupted file got corrupted, and then, what to do to avoid the problem
    if one really wants to save the workspace.

    For you Bazman76, I would advise you to never save the workspace. Save
    all command lines in a script (*.R) and important objects to files
    (either with save() and then load(), or one of the write functions, or
    saveObject()/loadObject from package R.utils, and so on).
    Someone please correct me if it is a bad practice.
    That is good advice.

    One way to end up with a "corrupted" workspace is to save it with a
    dependency on a particular package, then try to load it when that
    package is unavailable. I'm going to see if R can handle that case more
    gracefully.

    If people can describe other reproducible methods of getting a corrupted
    .Rdata it would be useful, at least for a list of "Don't do that" advice.

    Duncan Murdoch
    HTH,
    Ivan
    Le 5/12/2011 18:27, Bazman76 a ?crit :
    I will read the intor to R.

    When closing I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to save the workspace I
    just clicked yes?

    here is what I got

    load("C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My Documents/vars/vars/data")
    Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
    In addition: Warning message:
    In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
    cannot open compressed file 'C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My
    Documents/vars/vars/data', probable reason 'Permission denied'

  • Rolf Turner at May 14, 2011 at 1:09 am
    One way to end up with a "corrupted" workspace is to save it with a
    dependency on a particular package, then try to load it when that
    package is unavailable. I'm going to see if R can handle that case
    more gracefully.
    <SNIP>

    Pardon me for breathing (which I never do anyway, so I don't know why I
    said it .... Oh God!
    I'm so depressed!) but how does one save a workspace with a dependency
    on a package?
    I couldn't do that even if I wanted to! At least, I don't think I
    could! :-)

    cheers,

    Rolf (aka Marvin)
  • David Winsemius at May 14, 2011 at 2:09 am

    One way to end up with a "corrupted" workspace is to save it with a
    dependency on a particular package, then try to load it when that
    package is unavailable. I'm going to see if R can handle that case
    more gracefully.
    <SNIP>

    Pardon me for breathing (which I never do anyway, so I don't know
    why I said it .... Oh God!
    I'm so depressed!) but how does one save a workspace with a
    dependency on a package?
    I couldn't do that even if I wanted to! At least, I don't think I
    could! :-)
    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2011-May/061004.html
    cheers,

    Rolf (aka Marvin)

    --
    David Winsemius, MD
    West Hartford, CT

    One way to end up with a "corrupted" workspace is to save it with a
    dependency on a particular package, then try to load it when that
    package is unavailable. I'm going to see if R can handle that case
    more gracefully.
    <SNIP>

    Pardon me for breathing (which I never do anyway, so I don't know why
    I said it .... Oh God!
    I'm so depressed!) but how does one save a workspace with a
    dependency on a package?
    I couldn't do that even if I wanted to! At least, I don't think I
    could! :-)
    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2011-May/061004.html
    Ahhh! The light dawns! Thank you.

    cheers,

    Rolf
  • David Winsemius at May 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

    OK when I click on the .RData file I get the screen above. Also when
    I start
    R from the desktop icon or from select if from programs I get the same
    result.
    Why do you even have this file around anymore? You have been told that
    it is corrupt and that trashing it is the way to go forward.

    (I suppose you could the error message regarding the missing `vars`
    package and see if that restores civil order, but if .Rdata doesn't
    have useful information that would be difficult to rebuild then ....
    just trash it.)

    --
    David.
[...]

Related Discussions