[Python] wxPython worries

James Goldwater
Jan 14, 2004 at 2:54 pm
I'm starting a new hopfully-commercial project soon, and I face a
dilemma about whether Python with wxPython would be appropriate.

The project has 3 main areas:

a) manipulation of lists and trees, using..
b) a hopefully dead-sexy gui, all in order to...
c) eventually pump out certain bits of the datastructure over the
network in semi-realtime (< 10ms accuracy or so).

The target is Win32 for now (98 - XP). Now, if it were up to me, I'd use
Delphi - it's what I know best. But I'm working with a less experienced
developer with whom I have no languages in common. He's keen to get
started on C#, I've toyed with C# and though it looks easy, I don't see
any major gains over what I already know.

I've read a lot about python and done some mini-stuff in it, and been
impressed with it's ease and conciseness. What worries me is wxPython:
looking at the demo code, it's quite verbose and 'bitty'. I'm also
unclear as to how easy custom controls are to build.

Am I just being confused by my newbie-ness, or are my initial concerns
justified? What's anybody else's experiences with gui programming in
wxPython like vs a RAD like Delphi or .NET?

Thanks,

James.
reply

  • Guyon Morée at Jan 14, 2004 at 3:19 pm
    I've got the same worries, but I'm still not really convinced...
    boa-constructor is nice... but not there yet

    "James Goldwater" <james at eccehomo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:mailman.352.1074092092.12720.python-list at python.org...
[...]

  • Lars Heuer at Jan 14, 2004 at 5:34 pm
    Hello Guyon,
    I've got the same worries, but I'm still not really convinced...
    boa-constructor is nice... but not there yet
    There's another free tool:

    wxGlade
    http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/

    Commercial tools:
    wxDesigner:
    http://www.roebling.de/

    DialogBlocks:
    http://www.anthemion.co.uk/dialogblocks/

    Maybe some of these tools fit your needs. I've no deep experience with
    them all. :)

    HTH,
    Lars
  • Lars Heuer at Jan 14, 2004 at 5:51 pm
    Hello again,

    Forgot to mention SPE (uses the mentioned wxGlade):
    http://spe.pycs.net/

    Maybe this tool is more "IDE"-like. ;)

    Regards,
    Lars

  • Notice: Undefined variable: pl_u_link_beg in /home/whirl/sites/grokbase/root/www/public_html__www/cc/flow/tpc.php on line 831
    Joe Francia
    Notice: Undefined variable: pl_u_link_end in /home/whirl/sites/grokbase/root/www/public_html__www/cc/flow/tpc.php on line 831
    at Jan 14, 2004 at 8:03 pm

    James Goldwater wrote:
[...]

    I share your concerns with wxPython - it's a good, powerful toolkit, but
    it lacks consistent and clear documentation, and a decent screen painter
    (wxGlade probably is the most complete).

    If you have the budget (USD 399 per developer), you may want look at
    BlackAdder from The Kompany. It uses the PyQt bindings for the Qt
    toolkit, which I find to be a bit better than wxPython/wxWindows, a bit
    more polished and consistent. The package includes the BlackAdder
    editor, the QtDesigner, PyQt docs and a license to redistribute the PyQt
    libraries for win32 (which is really what you're paying for - most of
    this is available for free on GPL'ed systems).

    Another option is to extend/embed Python with Delphi; specifically, use
    Delphi for the GUI, and Python for the logic. There's some Delphi
    bindings and documentation here:

    http://membres.lycos.fr/marat/delphi/python.htm
    http://www.atug.com/andypatterns/pythonDelphiTalk.htm
  • PT at Jan 14, 2004 at 8:21 pm

    What worries me is wxPython:
    I'm also
    unclear as to how easy custom controls are to build.
    None of the Python GUI toolkits support making good custom controls as
    well as Java and .NET do. TKinter is probably the best Python option
    for that. If you are comfortable with Windows programming though,
    wxPython will not be too difficult.
    Am I just being confused by my newbie-ness, or are my initial concerns
    justified? What's anybody else's experiences with gui programming in
    wxPython like vs a RAD like Delphi or .NET?
    If you want something similar to Delphi or .NET, then you would
    probably like QT Designer much better than the wx options. See
    BlackAdder (Win, $$) or eric3 (Linux, free):
    http://www.thekompany.com/products/blackadder/
    http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

    If money isn't an issue though, just stick with Visual Studio and C#
    and let the other guy do most of the work.
  • James Goldwater at Jan 14, 2004 at 9:41 pm
    It's not the RADdish-ness (is that a word?) - drag'n'drop, property
    assignment etc - that concerns me, it's the ease of gui building - by
    hand is fine (oh how I've come to 'love' Java's layout managers...)

    Custom controls is the biggie then. I think I'll have a punt at building
    a custom control in wxPython to see if it's even feasible. Anybody want
    an arbitrary-angled triangular-wedge button? (My first custom control
    in Delphi version 1, all those years back...)

    --
    James Goldwater
    I.T. Consultant

    GPG Key: A2137B98 (pgp.mit.edu)
  • John J. Lee at Jan 15, 2004 at 1:48 am

    James Goldwater <james at eccehomo.co.uk> writes:

    It's not the RADdish-ness (is that a word?) - drag'n'drop, property
    assignment etc - that concerns me, it's the ease of gui building - by
    hand is fine (oh how I've come to 'love' Java's layout managers...)
    I'll make my usual comment, which is that nobody has yet contradicted
    me (unusual on USENET ;-) that Qt is the most well-designed Python GUI
    framework. (Qt Designer is very good, too.)

    And, strangely, the PyQt commercial license is far cheaper than (C++)
    Qt. $400 for former (Blackadder, from theKompany.com), $2500-odd for
    the latter!

    (before somebody asks: no, you *don't* need both licenses -- only the
    cheap one from theKompany, who have an agreement with trolltech)

    I believe Blackadder comes with Python-specific docs for PyQt, but
    they're actually completely redundant, IMHO -- it's trivial to
    translate the C++ docs to Python code, using the list of exceptions
    distributed with PyQt. Another BTW: their FAQ page still says
    Blackadder is in beta, but I think somebody here mentioned the final
    version was actually released some while back (PyQt itself has been
    stable for years, of course).

    Custom controls is the biggie then. I think I'll have a punt at
    [...]

    PyQt is certainly good at this.

    John

  • Notice: Undefined variable: pl_u_link_beg in /home/whirl/sites/grokbase/root/www/public_html__www/cc/flow/tpc.php on line 831
    Joe Francia
    Notice: Undefined variable: pl_u_link_end in /home/whirl/sites/grokbase/root/www/public_html__www/cc/flow/tpc.php on line 831
    at Jan 15, 2004 at 3:44 am

    John J. Lee wrote:
    I'll make my usual comment, which is that nobody has yet contradicted
    me (unusual on USENET ;-) that Qt is the most well-designed Python GUI
    framework. (Qt Designer is very good, too.)
    I'll second that, and go as far as to say it's a very good GUI framework
    no matter how you speak to it.
    And, strangely, the PyQt commercial license is far cheaper than (C++)
    Qt. $400 for former (Blackadder, from theKompany.com), $2500-odd for
    the latter!
    $400 is for preofessional use. For personal use, it's $80, but you lose
    the right to distribute your apps (but maybe not if you release them
    under the GPL - I should look into that).
    I believe Blackadder comes with Python-specific docs for PyQt, but
    they're actually completely redundant, IMHO -- it's trivial to
    translate the C++ docs to Python code, using the list of exceptions
    distributed with PyQt.
    You do get a copy of the docs with your BA purchase. The Kompany also
    sells the PyQt docs separately for $20 for a one-time purchase, or $70
    for a yearly subscription; that is, all updates for one year are included.

    Another BTW: their FAQ page still says
    Blackadder is in beta, but I think somebody here mentioned the final
    version was actually released some while back (PyQt itself has been
    stable for years, of course).
    It is indeed stable. The one thing I don't like about BlackAdder is
    BlackAdder itself, the editor portion. It's not terrible - it just
    doesn't behave quite like I expect a dedicated Python editor to behave.
    I usually create my GUI in the Qt Designer, and then edit the Python
    stuff in Eric (Linux) or SciTE (win32).
  • Jarek Zgoda at Jan 14, 2004 at 8:52 pm

    James Goldwater <james at eccehomo.co.uk> pisze:

    The target is Win32 for now (98 - XP). Now, if it were up to me, I'd use
    Delphi - it's what I know best. But I'm working with a less experienced
    developer with whom I have no languages in common. He's keen to get
    started on C#, I've toyed with C# and though it looks easy, I don't see
    any major gains over what I already know.
    I love Delphi but I would choose Python for simplicity, flexibility and
    library (will not mention that it works on AS/400, the best
    minicomputer(!) ever made).

    But I'm rather guerilla guy and mainstream makes me sick.

    (NP: The Pogues - Sally MacLennane)

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    Unregistered Linux User #-1

    (will not mention that it works on AS/400, the best
    minicomputer(!) ever made).
    Why is it the best minicomputer ever made?
    I really want to know!

    --
    ?????? (jabberID:damjan at bagra.net.mk)

    To boldly go where I surely don't belong.
  • Jarek Zgoda at Jan 15, 2004 at 6:12 pm

    ?????? ? <mk at net.mail.penguinista> pisze:

    (will not mention that it works on AS/400, the best
    minicomputer(!) ever made).
    Why is it the best minicomputer ever made?
    I really want to know!
    Since nobody ever produced any other. Only IBM produced machines that
    can be called "midrange" (something between microcomputer and "real
    computer", the famous S/390 mainframe). They still use this terminology.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    Unregistered Linux User #-1
    http://www.zgoda.biz/ JID:zgoda-a-chrome.pl http://zgoda.jogger.pl/
  • Skip Montanaro at Jan 15, 2004 at 8:14 pm

    (will not mention that it works on AS/400, the best minicomputer(!)
    ever made).

    Why is it the best minicomputer ever made? I really want to know!
    Jarek> Since nobody ever produced any other. Only IBM produced machines
    Jarek> that can be called "midrange" (something between microcomputer
    Jarek> and "real computer", the famous S/390 mainframe). They still use
    Jarek> this terminology.

    You seem to be forgetting (at least) DEC's VAX line of computers. Data
    General and PR1ME had computers classed as "mini" computers also. I'm sure
    there were others.

    Skip
  • Cameron Laird at Jan 15, 2004 at 8:23 pm
    In article <bu6l68$8uv$1 at atlantis.news.tpi.pl>,
    Jarek Zgoda wrote:
    ?????? ? <mk at net.mail.penguinista> pisze:
    (will not mention that it works on AS/400, the best
    minicomputer(!) ever made).
    Why is it the best minicomputer ever made?
    I really want to know!
    Since nobody ever produced any other. Only IBM produced machines that
    can be called "midrange" (something between microcomputer and "real
    computer", the famous S/390 mainframe). They still use this terminology.
    .
    .
    .
    Sneaky, Jarek; but there were a LOT of "minicomputer"
    manufacturers, including DEC, Data General, HP, Prime,

    Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
  • Jarek Zgoda at Jan 16, 2004 at 7:25 pm

    Cameron Laird <claird at lairds.com> pisze:

    Why is it the best minicomputer ever made?
    I really want to know!
    Since nobody ever produced any other. Only IBM produced machines that
    can be called "midrange" (something between microcomputer and "real
    computer", the famous S/390 mainframe). They still use this terminology.
    .
    .
    .
    Sneaky, Jarek; but there were a LOT of "minicomputer"
    manufacturers, including DEC, Data General, HP, Prime,
    Oops! It seems I'm too young to make such authoritative statements, my
    adventure with computers started in mid-80's. So, please, take my
    apologies for inconvenience.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    Unregistered Linux User #-1
    http://www.zgoda.biz/ JID:zgoda-a-chrome.pl http://zgoda.jogger.pl/
  • Cousin Stanley at Jan 15, 2004 at 8:33 pm

    Why is it the best minicomputer ever made?
    I really want to know!
    Since nobody ever produced any other.
    Only IBM produced machines that can be called "midrange"
    (something between microcomputer and "real computer",
    the famous S/390 mainframe). They still use this terminology.
    Jarek ....

    Honeywell also produced a line of mid-range machines
    called the Level 6 minicomputers ....

    These machines ran an operating system
    which had an internal architecture
    and command line interface different from,
    but vaguely similar, to Multics, a Honeywell mainframe OS ....

    Multics was a major predecessor of Unix,
    a euphemism for Multics Without Balls
    deemed so by the original developers themselves ....

    Without Multics there might not be
    any such thing as Unix or Linux ....

    You can find the history of Multics at ....

    http://www.multicians.org

    --
    Cousin Stanley
    Human Being

    ?????? ?. wrote:
    (will not mention that it works on AS/400, the best
    minicomputer(!) ever made).

    Why is it the best minicomputer ever made?
    I really want to know!
    HP/3000, taken off the sales list last Halloween.

    A joy to work with.

    Believe it or not, it was ported to run as a UNIX emulator in the '80s,
    so it could be available forever, but HP's politics killed it.

    Gresham's law applied to computing: bad software drives out good.
    (Perl vs Python, et cetera, et cetera).
  • Frank Bechmann at Jan 17, 2004 at 2:22 pm
    OS-wise an incredible innovative and visionary machine,
    programming-wise you had .NET (read as: multi-language
    runtime-environment) since more than a decade. unequaled productivity
    for business application development with the usual triple
    dialog-processing - business logic - database.

    if only it had more cool ILE-languages than RPG, CL, Cobol and a
    poorly supported C/C++.

    btw.: there is even a python port for the AS/400, but even if CL as
    ugly as a nightmare it can't be beaten in terms of productivity on an
    AS/400.
  • Jarek Zgoda at Jan 17, 2004 at 2:30 pm

    Frank Bechmann <fBechmann at web.de> pisze:

    btw.: there is even a python port for the AS/400, but even if CL as
    ugly as a nightmare it can't be beaten in terms of productivity on an
    AS/400.
    Yes, htpp://www.iseriespython.com/. Discovery of existence of Python for
    iSeries made me switch back to AS/400 from Unix.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    Unregistered Linux User #-1
    http://www.zgoda.biz/ JID:zgoda-a-chrome.pl http://zgoda.jogger.pl/
  • Robert at Jan 16, 2004 at 12:50 am
    What is needed is a good "Programming wxPython"!
  • MetalOne at Jan 16, 2004 at 6:57 am
    I have recently been trying to build some GUIs with wxWindows. The
    first problem that I ran across involved not being able to send and
    event from a worker thread to the GUI thread and get the GUI thread to
    process the event while the user had a menu pulled down. I wrote a
    bug report and this has since been fixed. Tkinter has issues here
    also. There is no means for a worker thread to put an event in the
    GUI thread.

    The second problem that I have run across is that tab order between
    controls is the order that controls are added. You can't get tabbing
    to skip a control. If you dynamically add/remove controls you can't
    achieve your desired tab order.

    wxWindows seems like a very impressive work. The demo is certainly
    impressive. I also suppose I shouldn't rant to much about something
    that is free. However my first two GUIs hit critical problems, and
    these were really simple GUIs. Granted, the first problem has been
    fixed now, and I have not yet written a bug report on the second.

    Tkinter is also giving me problems. I have been trying to add
    controls to a canvas and to have a scrollbar that will scroll the
    controls on the canvas. I think I have it figured out now, but it is
    damn near impossible to figure out from the documentation. I had to
    scour the internet looking for solutions.

    I have also played with displaying video in both wxWindows and Tk.
    I have raw gray scale data simply as a list of values range 0-255.
    Using PIL I can easily convert to a format wxWindows and Tk can
    display. I get around 30 fps with wxWindows and 15 fps with Tk.
    However, all images wxWindows displays must be full 24-bit color. If
    the images didn't need to be expanded to (r,g,b) I would expect
    signifcant speed up. I don't know why Tk is so much slower.

    wxWindows and Tk are the only toolkits that wrap native Windows
    controls. The others all emulate controls. I am thinking about
    trying out another toolkit.
    FOX, FLTK or GTK.

    I am having enough trouble convincing people to use Python. I'd never
    be able to get my work to purchase Qt. They would prefer to do
    everything in VB6.
  • Stephane ancelot at Jan 16, 2004 at 7:42 am
    Hi,
    I have recently evaluated wxpython because I am coming from fox (for 3 years)
    , but fox lacks GUI designer and wxwindows with wxpython and boa-constructor
    seems to solve the problem

    Thanks for your advice in wxwindows.

    If you want informations about fox I can help you.

    Best Regards
    steph

    Le Vendredi 16 Janvier 2004 07:57, MetalOne a ?crit :
[...]

  • Eric Brunel at Jan 16, 2004 at 9:21 am