Hi all,

After extended discussion over the last several months on import-sig,
the resulting proposal for multi-phase (PEP 451) extension module
initialization has finalized. The resulting PEP provides a clean,
straight-forward, and backward-compatible way to import extension
modules using ModuleSpecs.

With that in mind and given the improvement it provides, PEP 489 is
now accepted. I want to thank Petr, Nick, and Stefan for the time,
thought, and effort they put into the proposal (and implementation).
It was a disappointment to me when, at the time, we couldn't find a
good way to apply PEP 451 to builtins and extension modules. So
thanks for easing my anxiety!

-eric

Search Discussions

  • Guido van Rossum at May 22, 2015 at 9:52 pm
    Congrats! Many thanks to all who contributed.
    After extended discussion over the last several months on import-sig,
    the resulting proposal for multi-phase (PEP 451) extension module
    initialization has finalized. The resulting PEP provides a clean,
    straight-forward, and backward-compatible way to import extension
    modules using ModuleSpecs.

    With that in mind and given the improvement it provides, PEP 489 is
    now accepted. I want to thank Petr, Nick, and Stefan for the time,
    thought, and effort they put into the proposal (and implementation).
    It was a disappointment to me when, at the time, we couldn't find a
    good way to apply PEP 451 to builtins and extension modules. So
    thanks for easing my anxiety!

    -eric
    Unsubscribe:
    https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/guido%40python.org