Everybody,

In order to save myself a major headache I'm hereby accepting PEP 492.

I've been following Yury's efforts carefully and I am fully confident that
we're doing the right thing here. There is only so much effort we can put
into clarifying terminology and explaining coroutines. Somebody should
write a tutorial. (I started to write one, but I ran out of time after just
describing basic yield.)

I've given Yury clear instructions to focus on how to proceed -- he's to
work with another core dev on getting the implementation ready in time for
beta 1 (scheduled for May 24, but I think the target date should be May 19).

The acceptance is provisional in the PEP 411 sense (stretching its meaning
to apply to language changes). That is, we reserve the right to change the
specification (or even withdraw it, in a worst-case scenario) until 3.6,
although I expect we won't need to do this except for some peripheral
issues (e.g. the backward compatibility flags).

I now plan to go back to PEP 484 (type hints). Fortunately in that case
there's not much *implementation* that will land (just the typing.py
module), but there's still a lot of language in the PEP that needs updating
(check the PEP 484 tracker <https://github.com/ambv/typehinting/issues>).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
-------------- next part --------------

Search Discussions

  • Guido van Rossum at May 5, 2015 at 11:58 pm
    I totally forgot to publicly congratulate Yury on this PEP. He's put a huge
    effort into writing the PEP and the implementation and managing the
    discussion, first on python-ideas, later on python-dev. Congrats, Yury! And
    thanks for your efforts. Godspeed.

[...]

  • Ethan Furman at May 6, 2015 at 12:04 am
    Congratulations, Yury!

    --
    ~Ethan~
  • Paul Moore at May 6, 2015 at 8:07 am

    I totally forgot to publicly congratulate Yury on this PEP. He's put a huge
    effort into writing the PEP and the implementation and managing the
    discussion, first on python-ideas, later on python-dev. Congrats, Yury! And
    thanks for your efforts. Godspeed.

    Agreed, congratulations! There's been a lot of debate on this PEP, and
    Yury has done a great job of responding where needed and keeping
    things on track, which can't have been easy. Thanks for all the work.

    Paul.
  • Andrew Svetlov at May 6, 2015 at 8:22 am
    Congrats, Yury!

    I totally forgot to publicly congratulate Yury on this PEP. He's put a huge
    effort into writing the PEP and the implementation and managing the
    discussion, first on python-ideas, later on python-dev. Congrats, Yury! And
    thanks for your efforts. Godspeed.
    Agreed, congratulations! There's been a lot of debate on this PEP, and
    Yury has done a great job of responding where needed and keeping
    things on track, which can't have been easy. Thanks for all the work.

    Paul.

    Andrew Svetlov
  • Ludovic Gasc at May 6, 2015 at 12:20 pm
    Thank you Yuri for the all process (PEP+code+handle debate).

    It's the first time I follow the genesis of a PEP, from the idea to the
    acceptation, it was very instructive to me.

    --
    Ludovic Gasc (GMLudo)
    http://www.gmludo.eu/

[...]

    Unsubscribe:
    https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/gmludo%40gmail.com
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Yury Selivanov at May 6, 2015 at 12:13 am

    In order to save myself a major headache I'm hereby accepting PEP 492.

    I've been following Yury's efforts carefully and I am fully confident that
    we're doing the right thing here. There is only so much effort we can put
    into clarifying terminology and explaining coroutines. Somebody should
    write a tutorial. (I started to write one, but I ran out of time after just
    describing basic yield.)

    Thank you, Guido!
    Yury
  • Victor Stinner at May 6, 2015 at 12:13 am

    In order to save myself a major headache I'm hereby accepting PEP 492.

    Great! Congrats Yury.

    I've given Yury clear instructions to focus on how to proceed -- he's to
    work with another core dev on getting the implementation ready in time for
    beta 1 (scheduled for May 24, but I think the target date should be May 19).

    The implementation takes place at:
    https://bugs.python.org/issue24017

    Yury works at https://github.com/1st1/cpython in git branches.

    I already sent a first review. But I don't feel able to review the
    change on the grammar, parser or things like that.

    Victor
  • Larry Hastings at May 6, 2015 at 11:27 am

    I've given Yury clear instructions to focus on how to proceed -- he's
    to work with another core dev on getting the implementation ready in
    time for beta 1 (scheduled for May 24, but I think the target date
    should be May 19).

    Released on Sunday May 24 means it'll be tagged on Saturday May 23.
    Please take care that it be checked in by then.

    Your friendly neighborhood release manager,

    //arry/