Over the past weekend we merged (https://github.com/pyca/cryptography/pull/1986) a major improvement to the way we compile our bindings. The recent release of cffi 1.0+ brings a new out of line API mode using "set_source" and we have converted pyca/cryptography to use that. This allows us to do a more traditional compile phase, removing much of our monkeypatching and dramatically reducing overhead on import (both in time and memory). However, this is a big change, so I'm sending this email to encourage people to clone master (https://github.com/pyca/cryptography) and verify that everything is working as expected in your environment.

If you run into problems please file issues ASAP. Anything we uncover before the tenth feature release (which will be versioned 1.0!) is great.

-Paul Kehrer (reaperhulk)