[PostgreSQL-US] Mailing list clarification

Joshua D. Drake
Oct 28, 2008 at 4:29 pm
Hello,

There is some apparent confusion going around about the mailing lists. I
think this is my fault and thought I would try and clear it up. There
are several lists that are all about PgUS. They are:

pgus-general : This list. General discussion, let's rock, let's love
community, go to burning man, storm the towers and hunt dolphins. All
are welcome.

members@lists.postgresql.us : This is a member announce list. It is
moderated. It is also the list I think caused the confusion. This list
is used only to send out occasional communications to the professional
and student members. It is not a "community" list.

In short the members@ list is for general corporate communications that
are not of a discussion type nature. Discussion should happen on
pgus-general, in all its public and archived glory.

We could use pgsql-announce for that but I didn't want to spam the
global community for a notice about PgUS voting. Vote results sure but a
standard reminder? Seems like spam to the -announce list.

board : The board list. I think this is obvious.

etc...

I have also cleaned up the mailing list page on the PgUS website to help
this along: https://www.postgresql.us/mailinglists

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
reply

  • David E. Wheeler at Oct 28, 2008 at 4:49 pm

    pgus-general : This list. General discussion, let's rock, let's love
    community, go to burning man, storm the towers and hunt dolphins.
    All are welcome.
    WTF are dolphins doing in *towers*? This explains a great deal.

    Best,

    David
  • Joshua Drake at Oct 28, 2008 at 5:11 pm

    pgus-general : This list. General discussion, let's rock, let's
    love community, go to burning man, storm the towers and hunt
    dolphins. All are welcome.
    WTF are dolphins doing in *towers*? This explains a great deal.
    MySQL never could do anything right :P

    Joshua D. Drake

  • Bruce Momjian at Oct 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm

    Joshua D. Drake wrote:
    members@lists.postgresql.us : This is a member announce list. It is
    moderated. It is also the list I think caused the confusion. This list
    is used only to send out occasional communications to the professional
    and student members. It is not a "community" list.

    In short the members@ list is for general corporate communications that
    are not of a discussion type nature. Discussion should happen on
    pgus-general, in all its public and archived glory.

    We could use pgsql-announce for that but I didn't want to spam the
    global community for a notice about PgUS voting. Vote results sure but a
    standard reminder? Seems like spam to the -announce list.
    Wouldn't having 'announce' in the email name be clearer?

    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

  • Selena Deckelmann at Oct 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm

    moderated. It is also the list I think caused the confusion. This list
    is used only to send out occasional communications to the professional
    and student members. It is not a "community" list.

    In short the members@ list is for general corporate communications that
    are not of a discussion type nature. Discussion should happen on
    pgus-general, in all its public and archived glory.

    We could use pgsql-announce for that but I didn't want to spam the
    global community for a notice about PgUS voting. Vote results sure but a
    standard reminder? Seems like spam to the -announce list.
    Wouldn't having 'announce' in the email name be clearer?
    +1

    (as suggested on -advocacy earlier today :)

    -selena
  • Robert Treat at Oct 29, 2008 at 4:04 am

    moderated. It is also the list I think caused the confusion. This list
    is used only to send out occasional communications to the professional
    and student members. It is not a "community" list.

    In short the members@ list is for general corporate communications that
    are not of a discussion type nature. Discussion should happen on
    pgus-general, in all its public and archived glory.

    We could use pgsql-announce for that but I didn't want to spam the
    global community for a notice about PgUS voting. Vote results sure but a
    standard reminder? Seems like spam to the -announce list.
    Wouldn't having 'announce' in the email name be clearer?
    +1

    (as suggested on -advocacy earlier today :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    { announce@postgresql.us}
    { discuss@postgresql.us }
    { board@postgresql.us }
    O~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    .

    --
    Robert Treat
    Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

    Selena Deckelmann wrote:

    We could use pgsql-announce for that but I didn't want to spam the
    global community for a notice about PgUS voting. Vote results sure but a
    standard reminder? Seems like spam to the -announce list.
    Wouldn't having 'announce' in the email name be clearer?
    +1

    (as suggested on -advocacy earlier today :)
    Well changing it is certainly easy enough. I am happy to oblige. I will
    take care of it this week.

    Sincerely,

    Joshua D. Drake

Related Discussions