[PostgreSQL] crosstab query script (python) attached

Andrew Gould
Jun 26, 2003 at 8:36 pm
For those who may be interested, I have attached my
python script for creating single table crosstab
queries using PyGreSQL.

Once it gets cleaned up a little, I'd like to
contribute it to the TechDocs site. There's probably
much more elegant ways of accomplishing the task on
the server side; but for non-admin users, it could be
helpful. Also, it should be easy to translate the
method to other tools/languages.

Thanks,

Andrew Gould
reply

  • Joe Conway at Jun 26, 2003 at 8:46 pm

    Andrew Gould wrote:
    Once it gets cleaned up a little, I'd like to
    contribute it to the TechDocs site. There's probably
    much more elegant ways of accomplishing the task on
    the server side; but for non-admin users, it could be
    helpful. Also, it should be easy to translate the
    method to other tools/languages.
    Just for info, there is a (C language) crosstab function in
    contrib/tablefunc.

    The one in 7.3 has a serious limitation (the source query must ensure
    that for each row in the crosstab, there is a record representing each
    column of the crosstab, even if the value is NULL).

    However the version in 7.4devel (and a 7.3.x compatible update here
    http://www.joeconway.com/) eliminates that limitation.

    Joe
  • Andrew Gould at Jun 26, 2003 at 9:20 pm

    --- Joe Conway wrote:

    Just for info, there is a (C language) crosstab
    function in
    contrib/tablefunc.

    The one in 7.3 has a serious limitation (the source
    query must ensure
    that for each row in the crosstab, there is a record
    representing each
    column of the crosstab, even if the value is NULL).
    Joe
    I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Crosstabs are a
    great tool for analysis. My first task is usually to
    check for unexpected column titles and unusual volumes
    in the "null" column. My script creates a
    "null_value" field to account for records without
    values for the crosstab. (Initially, I called it
    "Null"; but I got nervous about using the word as a
    column title.)

    Andrew Gould

Andrew Gould: 2 posts Joe Conway: 1 post