Grokbase Groups Pig user July 2012

[Pig-user] Pig for Windows

Subir S
Jul 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm
Hi,

Is there any restriction in using Pig in Windows?
For my development i want to use only local mode in my laptop. I am facing
issues in getting Linux installed, so i thought if i could just execute pig
in Windows it would be nice. I guess the only part to do would be to write
a batch file in Windows similar to the shell script already provided.

But like other apache libraries, was there any reason for not providing
such a batch file (to be used in Windows) by the Pig project itself.

Thanks much,
Subir
reply

  • Subir S at Jul 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm
    I want to add that i installed cygwin. But the moment i clicked on the
    mintty.exe, my Norton Antivirus, just deleted the exe and said it was
    virus!!! :((

    So i thought if it is enough to write a batch file and may be contribute if
    that makes sense to pig project.
    Is there any restriction in using Pig in Windows?
    For my development i want to use only local mode in my laptop. I am facing
    issues in getting Linux installed, so i thought if i could just execute pig
    in Windows it would be nice. I guess the only part to do would be to write
    a batch file in Windows similar to the shell script already provided.

    But like other apache libraries, was there any reason for not providing
    such a batch file (to be used in Windows) by the Pig project itself.

    Thanks much,
    Subir
  • Thejas Nair at Jul 6, 2012 at 1:20 am
    The shell script sets some environemnt variables, such as HADOOP_HOME,
    but you don't need most of that if you are running the local mode. The
    pig.jar has hadoop in it.

    I haven't tried using pig on windows, but I think at least within
    cygwin, running the java command directly should work.

    java -cp pig.jar org.apache.pig.Main -x local

    A patch for a batch file is certainly welcome !

    -Thejas
    I want to add that i installed cygwin. But the moment i clicked on the
    mintty.exe, my Norton Antivirus, just deleted the exe and said it was
    virus!!! :((

    So i thought if it is enough to write a batch file and may be contribute if
    that makes sense to pig project.
    Is there any restriction in using Pig in Windows?
    For my development i want to use only local mode in my laptop. I am facing
    issues in getting Linux installed, so i thought if i could just execute pig
    in Windows it would be nice. I guess the only part to do would be to write
    a batch file in Windows similar to the shell script already provided.

    But like other apache libraries, was there any reason for not providing
    such a batch file (to be used in Windows) by the Pig project itself.

    Thanks much,
    Subir

Subir S: 2 posts Thejas Nair: 1 post