note 107596 added to function.linkinfo

Rjb
Feb 21, 2012 at 1:14 am
I expected this function to return FALSE or 0 if a symbolic link did not exist (per the documentation above), but that's not what happened. Reading the man page for the Linux kerne's stat call here: http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/stat.2.html it says this:

RETURN VALUE - On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately.

... which is what is happening in my case. I am doing a linkinfo('/path/to/file'); on a missing symlink, and I get back a value of -1. As we know, a value of -1 is not going to evaluate to a FALSE or 0.

My point - be careful with return values for missing symlinks.
----
Server IP: 69.147.83.197
Probable Submitter: 96.229.66.202
----