[PHP-INSTALL] Install Probs with LInux/Apache/MySQL

Charles Homan
May 2, 2001 at 4:38 pm
Have tried a thousand suggestions from lists all over. Please help me. I
am begging. Here's my debug.log;

verona:/usr/local/src/php-4.0.4pl1# cat debug.log
CONFIGURE: './configure' '--with-apxs=/www/bin/apxs'
'--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql' '--with-pdflib=/usr/local/src/pdflib-4.0.0'
'--enable-track-vars'
CC: gcc
CFLAGS: -g -O2
CPPFLAGS: -DLINUX=2 -DMOD_PERL -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT
CXX:
CXXFLAGS:
INCLUDES: -I$(top_builddir)/Zend
LDFLAGS:
LIBS: -lmysqlclient -lresolv -lm -ldl -lresolv
DLIBS:
SAPI: apache
PHP_RPATHS:
uname -a: Linux verona.mysitestation.com 2.0.36 #24 Thu May 18 22:53:18
PDT 20
00 i586

gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -DLINUX=2 -DMOD_PERL -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT
conftest
.c -lmysqlclient -lresolv -lm -ldl -lresolv 1>&5
ld: cannot open -lmysqlclient: No such file or directory

I get the infamouse attention message after I try to configure. I have the
right paths to mysql. I have the libmysqlclient files in
/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql and symbolic linked to /usr/local/mysql
ld.so.conf is correct. Please before I loose the rest of my hair.... help!
--
Charles Homan
Group Creative Director

  • B. van Ouwerkerk at May 2, 2001 at 6:17 pm

    I get the infamouse attention message after I try to configure. I have the
    right paths to mysql. I have the libmysqlclient files in
    /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql and symbolic linked to /usr/local/mysql
    ld.so.conf is correct. Please before I loose the rest of my hair.... help!
    Think I remember something like not having zlib installed.. I never seen
    the error above.. perhaps because I'm always installing quite a few libs..
    Seen a question almost simular to yours on another list and it seems zlib
    caused it..

    ld.so.conf should contain /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql DO NOT FORGET to run
    ldconfig after changing ld.so.conf

    Also.. check www.devshed.com a nice tutorial can be found there..

    uhm, being a creative guy does NOT mean you know how to install/maintain a
    server. I wonder.. why don't you hire someone to do the job for you.. costs
    you less then trying it yourself..
    Anyway, the tutorial on devshed.com should get you up and running.. is not
    going to cost you to much time.

    Bye,

    B.
  • Charles Homan at May 3, 2001 at 3:36 pm

    I get the infamouse attention message after I try to configure. I have the
    right paths to mysql. I have the libmysqlclient files in
    /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql and symbolic linked to /usr/local/mysql
    ld.so.conf is correct. Please before I loose the rest of my hair.... help!
    Think I remember something like not having zlib installed.. I never seen
    the error above.. perhaps because I'm always installing quite a few libs..
    Seen a question almost simular to yours on another list and it seems zlib
    caused it..
    zlib is installed already.
    ld.so.conf should contain /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql DO NOT FORGET to run
    ldconfig after changing ld.so.conf
    Did this before and got same errors, and I didn't forget to ldconfig
    Also.. check www.devshed.com a nice tutorial can be found there..

    uhm, being a creative guy does NOT mean you know how to install/maintain a
    server.
    Glad you can make such judgements based on my sig line -- You're are right,
    but that was kind of a knee jerk assumption that you should shy away from
    doing in the future.
    I wonder.. why don't you hire someone to do the job for you.. costs
    you less then trying it yourself..
    Let's sum it up by saying I like to learn new things. Plus, if I know this
    I don't have to be held hostage by ignorance when I need something like this
    on another server.
    Anyway, the tutorial on devshed.com should get you up and running.. is not
    going to cost you to much time.
    Couldn't find it. Sorry.
    Bye,

    B.

  • B. van Ouwerkerk at May 3, 2001 at 3:57 pm

    ld.so.conf should contain /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql DO NOT FORGET to run
    ldconfig after changing ld.so.conf
    Did this before and got same errors, and I didn't forget to ldconfig
    I know an experienced sysadmin who forgot.
    uhm, being a creative guy does NOT mean you know how to install/maintain a
    server.
    Glad you can make such judgements based on my sig line -- You're are right,
    but that was kind of a knee jerk assumption that you should shy away from
    doing in the future.
    I don't know many (0) creative guys who know much about the servers they're
    using. Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions..
    I wonder.. why don't you hire someone to do the job for you.. costs
    you less then trying it yourself..
    Let's sum it up by saying I like to learn new things. Plus, if I know this
    I don't have to be held hostage by ignorance when I need something like this
    on another server.
    I can understand that.. but why not play with an offline machine until you
    know what you're doing.. screwing up an offline machine is not such a
    problem..

    You could ask your ISP to do it this time.. next time you'll have enough
    knowledge to do it yourself. /me doesn't like to admin boxes installed by
    someone else..
    Anyway, the tutorial on devshed.com should get you up and running.. is not
    going to cost you to much time.
    Couldn't find it. Sorry.
    Then you didn't look very hard:
    http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/SoothinglySeamless/

    All I needed to do was to type www.devshed.com CLICK PHP and scroll down.

    Bye,

    B.
  • Charles Homan at May 3, 2001 at 4:16 pm

    ld.so.conf should contain /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql DO NOT FORGET to run
    ldconfig after changing ld.so.conf
    Did this before and got same errors, and I didn't forget to ldconfig
    I know an experienced sysadmin who forgot.
    I don't doubt that.
    uhm, being a creative guy does NOT mean you know how to install/maintain a
    server.
    Glad you can make such judgements based on my sig line -- You're are right,
    but that was kind of a knee jerk assumption that you should shy away from
    doing in the future.
    I don't know many (0) creative guys who know much about the servers they're
    using. Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions..
    You're right... BUT - count me a (1) that wants to lean.
    I wonder.. why don't you hire someone to do the job for you.. costs
    you less then trying it yourself..
    Let's sum it up by saying I like to learn new things. Plus, if I know this
    I don't have to be held hostage by ignorance when I need something like this
    on another server.
    I can understand that.. but why not play with an offline machine until you
    know what you're doing.. screwing up an offline machine is not such a
    problem..
    Right again -- got an old P100 machine here that I am going to try this on..
    You could ask your ISP to do it this time.. next time you'll have enough
    knowledge to do it yourself. /me doesn't like to admin boxes installed by
    someone else..
    Sending them a message right now because I am going mad trying to figure out
    what tools they have installed and if they are correct.
    Anyway, the tutorial on devshed.com should get you up and running.. is not
    going to cost you to much time.
    Couldn't find it. Sorry.
    Then you didn't look very hard:
    http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/SoothinglySeamless/

    All I needed to do was to type www.devshed.com CLICK PHP and scroll down.

    Bye,

    B.
    Found it right after I posted the previous message. Bet you're saying 'Yeah
    Right' :) It does look like a very good tutorial. Thanks.

    Hey, can we fuss like this more often! It's fun, and I learn a lot.
    Seriously, thanks for the direction.

  • Yasuo Ohgaki at May 3, 2001 at 4:41 am
    If you have ld.so.conf configured and have shared lib some where.

    Try

    ./configure --with-mysql

    instead of

    ./configure --with-mysql=directory

    Are you sure your MySQL lib is OK?

    --
    Yasuo Ohgaki

    "Charles Homan" <choman@mail.godwin.com> wrote in message
[...]

  • Charles Homan at May 3, 2001 at 3:23 pm
    See comments in message below..
    If you have ld.so.conf configured and have shared lib some where.
    Here ld.so.conf;

    verona:/usr/local/src# cat /etc/ld.so.conf
    /usr/X11R6/lib
    /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
    /usr/local/mysql
    /usr/local/Hughes
    /usr/X11R6.3.3/lib
    /usr/local/lib
    /usr/lib

    Have tried with /usr/local/mysql/lib and /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql in there
    as well - this above is the way file was originally (before I started trying
    to get PHP 4.05 and PDFlib to work)

    Here's directory of /usr/local/mysql
    verona:/usr/local/mysql# ls
    bin/ info/ libexec/ mysql.h share/ var/
    include/ lib/ man/ mysql.sock| sql-bench/

    Here's directory of /usr/local/mysql/lib:
    verona:/usr/local/mysql/lib# ls
    libmysqlclient.a libmysqlclient.so.6*
    libmysqlclient.so* mysql/

    Here's directory of /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql:
    verona:/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql# ls
    libdbug.a libmysqlclient.la* libmysys.a
    libheap.a libmysqlclient.so.6@ libnisam.a
    libmerge.a libmysqlclient.so.6.0.0*
    libmysqlclient.a libmystrings.a

    Try

    ./configure --with-mysql
    done. Here's debug log:

    verona:/usr/local/src/php-4.0.5# cat debug.log
    CONFIGURE: './configure' '--with-apxs=/www/bin/apxs' '--with-mysql'
    '--with-pd
    flib=/usr/local/src/pdflib-4.0.0' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-gnu-ld'
    CC: gcc
    CFLAGS: -g -O2
    CPPFLAGS: -DLINUX=2 -DMOD_PERL -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT -DSUPPORT_UTF8
    CXX:
    CXXFLAGS:
    INCLUDES: -I$(top_builddir)/Zend
    LDFLAGS:
    LIBS: -lresolv -lm -ldl -lresolv
    DLIBS:
    SAPI: apache
    PHP_RPATHS:
    uname -a: Linux verona.mysitestation.com 2.0.36 #24 Thu May 18 22:53:18
    PDT 20
    00 i586

    gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -DLINUX=2 -DMOD_PERL -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT
    -DSUPPORT
    _UTF8 conftest.c -lresolv -lm -ldl -lresolv 1>&5
    instead of

    ./configure --with-mysql=directory

    Are you sure your MySQL lib is OK?
    No. I am on a co-located server built by my service provider - Colossus,
    Inc. Do you think it could be the compiler? I thought that it may be MySQL
    too and was going to reinstall it suggested I upgrade to "Thread" something.
    I have gcc 2.7.2.1 now.

    Was going to try to do all this with RPM but no go there. I have 2.0 and it
    refuses to let me install the rpm. Went to get higher version of rpm and
    couldn't unpack cpio to upgrade rpm!!!

    Needless to say, I am having a bear of a time.

    Finally -- go to http://www.mysitestation.com/phpinfo.php to see how the
    current version of PHP is configured. One thing I notice that may be a
    problem is that the system shows calcite.colossus.net and not
    verona.mysitestation.com -- Could that be a problem?