On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 07:06:46PM +0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
Eric Raymond's book-in-development ``The Art of Unix Programming'' says
this about the future of Perl:
Perl usage has grown respectably, but the language itself has been stagnant
for two years or more.
Bah. Looks like my Perl5-Porters summaries have been completely in vain. :)
yeah, he's full of BS here.
If that other is Perl 6, I don't think we're stalled, are we? Language design
is waiting on Larry to produce the spec, and internals design is going on
quietly but steadily. We're in the design stage. That'll probably last a while
because scripting languages and interpreters aren't easy things to design, and
are even harder to get right.
Well, sometimes I think things *are* stalled. I'm thinking of updating my book
to perl 6, and maybe writing a new one, except that it is very difficult
to start, let alone convince an editor to put the time and effort into such a
project if you can't even point to a spec.

And - correct me if I'm wrong - but there isn't even a status available on how
far the spec process is coming. I'm not saying that every day or even every
week - but once a month might be nice. Last time I heard, he was going through
'topic by topic' and was going to release verdicts bit-by-bit. But that was
on Dec. 20th.

Ed

Search Discussions

  • John van V. at Feb 12, 2001 at 5:34 am
    Hiya, I wasnt expecting this but here is my $.02,

    Eric Raymond, is interesting but his contribtution is going to cause a lot more
    grief than contracting revenue and salary bonuses.

    Perl is frozen at 5.5.3 for me, which is not a problem. I would like a virtual
    machine built into the kernel, but more than anything, my industry (unix) needs
    a rock solid kernel to get control of the operations.

    Edward Peschko and Simon Cozens :
    Perl usage has grown respectably, but the language itself has been
    stagnant
    for two years or more.
    Bah. Looks like my Perl5-Porters summaries have been completely in vain. :)
    yeah, he's full of BS here.

    =====
    John van Vlaanderen