Module submission IPC::Mmap::SimpleShare

Perl Authors Upload Server
Jul 7, 2006 at 11:05 pm

modid: IPC::Mmap::SimpleShare
DSLIP: adpOp
userid: ADUITSIS (Αθανάσιος Δου�τσης)
chapterid: 5 (Networking_Devices_IPC)
communities:
will possibly propose to newsgroup comp.lang.perl.modules

similar:
IPC::Mmap

rationale:

Since this module heavily relies on IPC::Mmap, it seemed
appropriate to name it under that. Please note that there is not
inheritance involved, just one module uses the other.

I just made up the word ShareSimple, wanting to stress that we are
aiming for simplicity.

As for uniqueness, as far as I can tell, there are excellent
choices already at CPAN when it comes to IPC, but I needed something
that does not map to a regular file (eg. I really mmap to /dev/zero)
and that does present a minimal interface, so that it can be used
immediately.

Lastly, as for listing in the list, I thought that someone else
besides me might find the module useful some day.

enteredby: ADUITSIS (Αθανάσιος Δου�τσης)
enteredon: Fri Jul 7 23:03:31 2006 GMT

The resulting entry would be:

IPC::Mmap::
::SimpleShare adpOp Share structures using anonymous mmap ADUITSIS

Thanks for registering,
reply

  • Brian d foy at Jul 8, 2006 at 8:09 pm

    In article <200607072303.k67N3VtW021961@pause.perl.org>, Perl Authors
    Upload Server wrote:

    modid: IPC::Mmap::SimpleShare
    DSLIP: adpOp
    userid: ADUITSIS (Αθανάσιος Δου�τσης)
    chapterid: 5 (Networking_Devices_IPC)
    communities:
    will possibly propose to newsgroup comp.lang.perl.modules
    I just made up the word ShareSimple, wanting to stress that we are
    aiming for simplicity.
    That should always be the goal :)

    Is there a name that might better describe the functionality? Does
    IPC::Mmap::AnonymousShare make sense?

  • Athanasios Douitsis at Jul 9, 2006 at 12:39 am

    will possibly propose to newsgroup comp.lang.perl.modules
    I just made up the word ShareSimple, wanting to stress that we are
    aiming for simplicity.
    That should always be the goal :)

    Is there a name that might better describe the functionality? Does
    IPC::Mmap::AnonymousShare make sense?

    How about simply IPC::Mmap::Share? I was initially afraid that that would be
    way too generic, but since the name is not taken, this might be better :)

    Using the name anonymous would tell something about the internals of the
    module, but I would dare say that the potential user should not be concerned
    how the sharing is done. As you pointed out quite correctly, simplicity is
    our goal, and the very fact that the mmap operation uses the MAP_ANONYMOUS
    flag, aims to free us from the burden of choosing a real file to mmap to,
    which means that we have one thing less to worry about ..

    Best regards,
    Athanasios
  • Athanasios Douitsis at Jul 14, 2006 at 10:33 am

[...]

    Hello again,
    Please forgive my ignorance, I suspect silence is considered affirmation,
    right? I'll just go and resubmit the module as IPC::Mmap::Share, unless of
    course there is some objection :-)

    Kind regards,
    Athanasios