[Perl-inline] Smoke test failure: Inline::CPP: Still dealing with "Can't locate Parse::RecDescent, and M18 errors.

David Oswald
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:31 am
I uploaded Inline::CPP 0.33_004 to CPAN a few days ago, and right out
of the chute got four failures, all with the same issues:

1: "Can't locate Parse::RecDescent in @INC..."

2: "I currently only know about .... C, Foo, foo..." (M18 error)

The reports were all from the same individual, and I'm CC'ing him as
well on this to see if he can shed any light. However, I do expect to
see the same issue turn up with at least a couple more testers.

The CPAN regression statistical analysis tool (
http://analysis.cpantesters.org/solved?distv=Inline-CPP-0.33_004 ) is
interesting, but the data-set for this version is still too small.
However, the small data set may actually be working to our advantage
at the moment, in that it is not cluttered by other forms of failure;
only the one. That gives a 1.0 R coefficient for any element that is
present in all failed tests.

Nevertheless, I'm still unable to decipher why P::RD isn't found, when
the metadata lower down in the reports indicates it's present.
Furthermore, P::RD must have passed its own test suite, or we wouldn't
be getting to this point (when a module dependency fails to install
that doesn't show up as a primary module smoke test failure).

I suppose what I should do is write a test such as the following:

# 00prereqs.t
use Test::More;
use_ok( 'Parse::RecDescent' );
require_ok( 'Inline::C' );
done_testing();

...so that I can better isolate the point of failure.

If anyone has some additional insight I'm sitting on the edge of my
seat in anticipation. ;)

Thanks again!

Dave

--

David Oswald
daoswald@gmail.com

  • David Mertens at Jan 19, 2012 at 3:32 am
    I have experienced some odd behavior with P::RD as a dependency for
    Inline::C during the cpan install stage. I found that explicitly installing
    P::RD first solved this problem. Doubt that will fix the issue here, but
    thought I'd at least express some sympathy with such problems, nonetheless.

    David
[...]

  • Sisyphus at Jan 19, 2012 at 7:10 am