Back in March I installed 'perlbrew' on a new machine running
Linux/Ubuntu 13.10 LTS. I was having problems and posted to this list.
   Kent Fredric gave me a suggestion that worked.

However, today I was emboldened to upgrade from Ubuntu 13.10 to 14.04.
The upgrade itself went absolutely smoothly; Ubuntu reported no errors
whatsoever. However, as soon as I opened a Terminal, I encountered a
very perlbrew-specific error ... and completely lost the PATH to basic
commands such as 'ls', 'vi', etc.

I eventually realized that to get my basic PATH back -- that which is
coded in Ubuntu in /etc/environment and which is supplemented in
~/.bashrc -- I had to comment out the following line in ~/.bashrc:

#####
#source ~/perl5/perlbrew/etc/bashrc
#####

That's because something in this perlbrew-specific file is overriding,
or failing to detect, the values in /etc/environment. When the line
above is un-commented, only two perlbrew-specific directories are shown
when I call 'echo $PATH'.

When I comment that line out, however, I regain my basic Unix commands
but only partially regain the use of 'perlbrew'. In particular,
whenever I say 'perlbrew use' or 'perlbrew switch', a sub-shell is
opened rather than a simple change of the activated perl in the
*current* shell.

I have filed a bug report about this at:

https:/rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=95816

... which I encourage you to read and comment on. However, given how
long the list of App::perlbrew bugs found there is, I'm skeptical that
it will be addressed anytime soon.

So my dilemma is: If I want my basic unix commands, I have to work with
a partially crippled 'perlbrew'. Does anyone have any insight into this
problem?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

Search Discussions

  • David Golden at May 21, 2014 at 1:59 am

    So my dilemma is: If I want my basic unix commands, I have to work with a
    partially crippled 'perlbrew'. Does anyone have any insight into this
    problem?
    The hint I see is that it can't find perlbrew, and if your perlbrew is
    installed in ~/perl5/perlbrew/bin/ then that ought to be the fatpacked
    version.

    So either you weren't running the fatpacked version or something has
    come unglued and is stomping on your PATH.

    That's hard to diagnose without access to your system.

    David

    --
    David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> Twitter/IRC: @xdg
  • James E Keenan at May 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm