After many years of service my web application needs to be remodelled. It was
runnng very stable for > 10years using Embperl 1.3 and Apache 1.3 and Linux and
FreeBSD. All those systems used 32bit x86. As these systems are now due for
shutdown I'm looking into porting everything to a modern operating system. I
want to start with a 64bit amd64 Debian and that will likely use Apache 2.4 and
Embperl 2.4.

Are there any usable debian packages to set up Embperl and Apache using mod_perl?

I'll also need to check all my Embperl code for the slight differences of
Embperl 1.3 and Embperl 2.4, but I think this is described well on the Embperl
documentation.

The customer wants to use multiple install of the application and access those
via HTTPS. In the old days this required a separate IP address for each install.
Now with the SSL SNI feature I should be able to set up a single web server with
SSL and then configure multiple sites working on multiple of my PostgreSQL
databases. Thus I can host a couple of install on a single operating system.

Does a currentl Debian Apache setup support TSL SNI?

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj

  • Florian Schlichting at May 21, 2014 at 11:12 am
    Hi Dirk,
    I want to start with a 64bit amd64 Debian and that will likely use Apache 2.4 and
    Embperl 2.4.

    Are there any usable debian packages to set up Embperl and Apache using mod_perl?
    In Debian, Apache 2.4 is available from Jessie (currently "testing"),
    which also contains an up-to-date libembperl-perl package.

    The current stable Debian release, Wheezy, still contains Apache 2.2;
    Embperl 2.5.0-RC3 is available from wheezy-backports.
    The customer wants to use multiple install of the application and access those
    via HTTPS. In the old days this required a separate IP address for each install.
    Now with the SSL SNI feature I should be able to set up a single web server with
    SSL and then configure multiple sites working on multiple of my PostgreSQL
    databases. Thus I can host a couple of install on a single operating system.

    Does a currentl Debian Apache setup support TSL SNI?
    It does, but it may spit out a warning that SNI is not supported by all
    browsers (which may be true for older browsers, but nothing you'd
    seriously want to use nowadays...)

    Florian

  • Dirk Jagdmann at May 21, 2014 at 12:29 pm

    In Debian, Apache 2.4 is available from Jessie (currently "testing"),
    which also contains an up-to-date libembperl-perl package.
    So to install a system which can run for another 10 years, taking the Jessie
    version seems like the best start.

    --
    ---> Dirk Jagdmann
    ----> http://cubic.org/~doj