Hi.

We're trying to handle some odd query strings in embperl, eg:

http://www.example.com/mjs/q.epl?a=b?c=d

embperl parses this as:

Using %fdat FieldValuea b?cd

CGI.pm parses this as:

Using CGI.pm FieldValueab?c=d

I agree that these are some pretty bizarre queries, but annoyingly we can't
change the source, and embperl seems to handle them pretty badly. Googling
suggests ? in a query string is probably valid, eg:

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201008/what_characters_are_allowed_unencoded_in_query_strings/

Is there anything that can be done to make embperl behave more as expected?

--
Michael Stevens
Dianomi Ltd

Tel: 020 3463 5662
Fax: 020 7630 7356
www.dianomi.com

The information in this message and any attachment is intended for the
addressee and is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
Dianomi Ltd, Registered Office: One America Square, Crosswall, London. EC3N
2SG. Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number
4513809. VAT registration number: 809754988

Search Discussions

  • Ed Grimm at May 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    That url *should* be

    http://www.example.com/mjs/q.epl?a=b&c=d

    Yeah, ? is valid in the query string, but only the first one is special. &
    is supposed to separate field value pairs after the first ? starts them.

    If you can't change the code that generates the URL, that is... sad. I
    wouldn't expect others to support that, but CGI.pm is open source; it
    should be possible to change its code so that it recognizes both & and ?
    as separators - that way if your vendor ever fixes their, um, stuff, your
    code will still work. Note that you can put your copy of CGI.pm in
    site_perl or your own directory; if that directory is listed in PERL5LIB,
    it will be checked before the core directory. (Personally, when I compile
    perl, I reorder the includes so site libs are tried first - after all,
    that's where we're most likely to update things first. Vendors take an
    age to update stuff, and core takes ages.)

    --
    Ed Grimm
    Identity Services

[...]

  • Gerald Richter at May 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    Is there anything that can be done to make embperl behave more as expected?

    What is what you would expect? I think the way CGI.pm is correct regarding the specs. Is that what you would expect?

    Gerald

    We're trying to handle some odd query strings in embperl, eg:

    http://www.example.com/mjs/q.epl?a=b?c=d <http://www.example.com/mjs/q.epl?a=b?c=d>

    http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201008/what_characters_are_allowed_unencoded_in_query_strings/ <http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201008/what_characters_are_allowed_unencoded_in_query_strings/>

    www.dianomi.com <http://www.dianomi.com>

    The information in this message and any attachment is intended for the addressee and is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. Dianomi Ltd, Registered Office: One America Square, Crosswall, London. EC3N 2SG. Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number 4513809. VAT registration number: 809754988
  • Michael Stevens at May 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm
    Yes, I think the CGI.pm behaviour is good, and would like it if Embperl was
    the same.

    Is there anything that can be done to make embperl behave more as
    expected?****

    ** **