Hi

I'm total new to Embperl and I've been struggling for the best part of a
week to install Embperl on a Fedora 17 server running Apache 2.2.22,
mod_perl/2.0.5 and Perl/v5.14.2

Since I finally got 'Hello World' to work I thought I would post some hints
as to how I managed this amazing feat. The base install (Apache, mod_perl
and all the perl dependencies were installed using yum). Unfortunately
Embperl has been overlooked by the Fedora crew, therefore, it has to be
installed manually from source. I simply downloaded Embperl-2.5.0.tar.gz
from http://perl.apache.org/dist/ and followed the yellow brick road (perl
Makefile.PL, make, make test, su .. make install)

Before arriving at the above, I tried to install HTML::EmbperlObject from
CPAN ... DON'T, compilation is a tangle of deps. ;-(

Now the real ice bag on head part. The tutorial here
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/03/embperl.html is nearly right!
In my httpd.conf I changed HTML::EmbperlObject to Embperl::Object and
removed PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE base.epl because Embperl::Object
always looks for _base.epl, I think! So I just substituted the file base.epl
for _base.epl. And the final trick is, obvious LOL, point your browser at
/hello.html

That's it! Enjoy. Conceptuality Embperl is magic :-)

  • Jean-Christophe Boggio at Oct 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm
    Hi,

    Glad you managed to do it and thanks for your feedback.