I am still getting this problem with the latest version of Embperl
(2.5). This is on Debian Wheezy (testing), Perl 5.14. I have made a
number of changes in my code, and when I try to access my development
website I just get this:

Internal Server Error
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, neil@nilspace.com and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done
that may have caused the error.

[17349]ERR: 24: Error in Perl code: Compilation error

Apache Embperl 2.5.0_2 [Fri Oct 12 16:34:56 2012]

This is obviously really unhelpful and makes it impossible to even begin
to find out where the error is. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neil

  • Gerald Richter at Oct 13, 2012 at 11:16 am
    This is strange. The problem has definitively gone for me in2.5.0 _2 with perl 5.14.

    Does make test (without any options) succeed?

    Gerald

    I am still getting this problem with the latest version of Embperl (2.5). This is
    on Debian Wheezy (testing), Perl 5.14. I have made a number of changes in
    my code, and when I try to access my development website I just get this:

    Internal Server Error
    to complete your request.

    Please contact the server administrator, neil@nilspace.com and inform them
    of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
    have caused the error.

    [17349]ERR: 24: Error in Perl code: Compilation error

    Apache Embperl 2.5.0_2 [Fri Oct 12 16:34:56 2012]

    This is obviously really unhelpful and makes it impossible to even begin to
    find out where the error is. Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Neil

  • Neil Gunton at Oct 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm
    Hi Gerald,

    Yes, make test completes successfully.

    Neil

    richter@ecos.de wrote:
[...]

  • Neil Gunton at Oct 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm
    I think I have found what makes the problem happen. It occurs in a .epl
    subroutine file where I have 'use strict' at the start, and then within
    a [! !] block, there is a perl sub where I introduce a variable without
    using 'my', e.g.

    [!
    use strict;
    sub test
    {
    $x = 1;
    }
    !]

    The problem does not manifest if I do the same thing in an index.html
    within a [- -] block, i.e.

    [-
    use strict;
    $x = 1;
    -]

    ... in that case, I get a more helpful error message:

    [32570]ERR: 24: Error in Perl code: Global symbol "$x" requires explicit
    package name at
    /www-dev/vhosts/crazyguyonabike.com/htdocs/test/index.html line 3.

    I'm not sure if there are other factors in the way my codebase is
    constructed which contribute to this error not getting reported
    correctly. Before I dig too much more deeply, does the above give you
    enough clues to try reproducing on your end, Gerald?

    Thanks again for your help,

    Neil

    richter@ecos.de wrote:
[...]

  • Gerald Richter at Oct 14, 2012 at 11:34 am
    Hi Neil,

    this is very helpful. I think that should be enough to find the reason.

    I will try to fix it during the next days

    Gerald

[...]

  • Gerald Richter at Nov 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm
    Hi Neil,

    please check if http://www.embperl.org/downloads/Embperl-2.5.0_3.tar.gz fixes your problem

    Gerald

[...]

  • Neil Gunton at Nov 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    Hi Gerald, yes! I think that fixed it. Well done, and thanks as always
    for your help.

    :-)

    Neil