From: Root, Paul
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:58 PM
To: Gerald Richter - ECOS
Subject: Embedded perl error

Gerald,
I've been searching the internet on this issue, and the closest I've found
is a Gentoo distro where they suggest re-emerging mod_perl.

When I try to start Apache on a Red Hat 5.7 with apache 2.2.3, mod_perl
2.0.5, and perl 5.8.8, I get this:

Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 210 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Syntax error on line 41 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/IC.conf: Cannot load
/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-
multi/auto/Embperl/Embperl.so into server:
/usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-
multi/auto/Embperl/Embperl.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Top_ptr

I recompiled and installed mod_perl with the -Duseithreads option, as
the Gentoo issue suggested, then reconfigured, compiled and installed
Embperl. No luck.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul.

Paul Root - Engineer III
Managed Services Systems - CenturyLink

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain
confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this
communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any
attachments.

  • Allen Haim at Dec 29, 2011 at 9:13 am
    Hi all,

    I've recently had to migrate my (working) Embperl website to a new server
    which doesn't have the possibility of installing Apache, but has nginx
    instead.

    Is it supposed to be possible to get my site up again with nginx, and, for
    example, embpfastcgi.pl?

    In other words, will all of the same functionality be available?

    And if so, does it require any rewriting of code?

    Thank you, Allen

    believed to be clean.

  • Richter at Dec 29, 2011 at 9:18 am
    Hi,

    as long as you don't use any special mod_perl stuff yourself, your code should run without any rewrite as cgi script and you should have the same functionality

    Gerald
    I've recently had to migrate my (working) Embperl website to a new server
    which doesn't have the possibility of installing Apache, but has nginx instead.

    Is it supposed to be possible to get my site up again with nginx, and, for
    example, embpfastcgi.pl?

    In other words, will all of the same functionality be available?

    And if so, does it require any rewriting of code?

    Thank you, Allen

  • Allen Haim at Dec 29, 2011 at 9:42 am
    Hi Gerald,

    Thanks for the answer.

    Is there perhaps a working Embperl/FastCGI example somewhere you could point
    me to?

    Thanks,

    Allen