Hello brave people,

Its been a long time. I need to upgrade an old server that has some big Embperl 1.3 projects running. I compiled old versions of perl (5.8.9), apache(1.3.36) and mod-perl(1.31), all with minor issues, but I can't sucessfully compile Embperl 1.3.6 :(

perl Makefile.PL runs OK

but soon after running make a lot of errors like this occurs:

Embperl.c:329: error: static declaration of ‘XS_HTML__Embperl_CurrReq’ follows non-static declaration
Embperl.c:328: note: previous declaration of ‘XS_HTML__Embperl_CurrReq’ was here
Embperl.c:1755: error: static declaration of ‘XS_HTML__Embperl__Req_Escape’ follows non-static declaration
Embperl.c:1754: note: previous declaration of ‘XS_HTML__Embperl__Req_Escape’ was here

My system has gcc-4.4.3

Is it possible to build 1.3.6 on newer linux distributions?

Best regards,

Luiz Fernando

  • Dirk Jagdmann at Sep 28, 2011 at 12:23 am
    Is it possible to build 1.3.6 on newer linux distributions?
    I'm still using Embperl 1.3 on FreeBSD and had to patch some files to compile
    it. I think it also fixes the problem you've described. You would also want to
    have the CGI.pm fix for Embperl 1.3 releases. I can send you a tarball with my
    FreeBSD port, the patches contained in there should get you compiling.

    And of course if somebody else is interested in a FreeBSD Embperl 1.6 port you
    can tell me. It is based on the removed p5-HTML-Embperl port from the official
    port collection.

    --
    ---> Dirk Jagdmann
    ----> http://cubic.org/~doj

  • Ed Grimm at Sep 28, 2011 at 3:48 am
    As I recall, Embperl 1.3.x requires Apache 1.3.x and perl 5.6.x. Embperl 2.x requires Apache 2.x and perl 5.8+.

    My home sandbox contains perls back to 5.6.0, and as time goes on, getting those (and lately, even 5.8.2-) to compile is getting harder (I redo it from scratch each Fedora upgrade.) I haven't gotten to recompiling Embperl there on this last rebuild, but I'm pretty sure I remember errors of the pattern you're seeing from old Embperl with perl 5.8+.