[Solr-user] Does MultiTerm highlighting work with the fastVectorHighlighter?

Burton-West, Tom
Jun 8, 2011 at 7:24 pm
We are trying to implement highlighting for wildcard (MultiTerm) queries. This seems to work find with the regular highlighter but when we try to use the fastVectorHighlighter we don't see any results in the highlighting section of the response. Appended below are the parameters we are using.

Tom Burton-West

query
<str name="q">ocr:tink*</str>
highlighting params:

<str name="hl.highlightMultiTerm">true</str>
<str name="hl.fragsize">200</str>
<str name="hl.useFastVectorHighlighter">true</str>
<str name="hl.snippets">200</str>
<str name="hl.fragmentsBuilder">colored</str>
<str name="hl.fragListBuilder">simple</str>
<str name="hl.fl">ocr</str>
<str name="hl.usePhraseHighlighter">true</str>
<str name="hl">true</str>
reply

  • Erick Erickson at Jun 8, 2011 at 8:56 pm
    Just to check, does the field have termVectors="true" set?
    I think it's required for FVH to work.
    Best
    Erick
    We are trying to implement highlighting for wildcard (MultiTerm) queries.  This seems to work find with the regular highlighter but when we try to use the fastVectorHighlighter we don't see any results in the  highlighting section of the response.  Appended below are the parameters we are using.

    Tom Burton-West

    query
    <str name="q">ocr:tink*</str>
    highlighting params:

    <str name="hl.highlightMultiTerm">true</str>
    <str name="hl.fragsize">200</str>
    <str name="hl.useFastVectorHighlighter">true</str>
    <str name="hl.snippets">200</str>
    <str name="hl.fragmentsBuilder">colored</str>
    <str name="hl.fragListBuilder">simple</str>
    <str name="hl.fl">ocr</str>
    <str name="hl.usePhraseHighlighter">true</str>
    <str name="hl">true</str>
  • Burton-West, Tom at Jun 8, 2011 at 9:23 pm
    Hi Erick,

    Thanks for asking, yes we have termVectors=true set:

    <fieldType name="FullText" class="solr.TextField" positionIncrementGap="100" autoGeneratePhraseQueries="false" stored="true" termVectors="true" termPositions="true" termOffsets="true">

    I guess I should also mention that highlighting works fine using the fastVectorHighLighter as long as we don't do a MultiTerm query. For example see the query and results appended below (using the same hl parameters listed in the previous email)

    Tom
    <str name="q">ocr:tinkham</str>

    <lst name="highlighting">

    <lst name="mdp.39015015394847_24">

    <arr name="ocr">

    <str>
    John {lt:}b style="background:#ffff00"{gt:}Tinkham{lt:}/b{gt:}, who
    married Miss Mallie Kingsbury; Mr. William Ash-
    ley, and Mr. Leavitt, who, I believe, built the big
    stone house, now left high and dry by itself, on
    the top of Lyon street hill. As
    </str>
    </arr>
    </lst>