hi,
I am new to nutch-solr-lucene. I have a very simpel question:
I assume that nutch implemented in Java and has not been ported to other
languages. right?

Thank you for your help,
Diab.

  • John Whelan at Mar 28, 2009 at 9:17 pm
    Hello,

    I have not heard of any attempt to port Nutch to any other
    language. The effort would be greater than just porting the Java code. From
    what I understand, Nutch, (and underlying components) are dependent on
    Linux/UNIX OS commands. I believe that a complete porting of the application
    would be difficult, and I doubt that there is sufficient ‘critical mass’ to
    undertake the effort. My understanding is that the ‘best
    practice’ to running Nutch on Windows is to use Cygwin.

    Why am I responding in this thread? As it turns out, I had
    the same issue (running Nutch on Windows). As a solution, I built a wrapper
    Nutch that included an installer and an administrative UI in order to make
    it simpler
    for Windows administrators. If you are interested, you can find out more
    about
    what I did at
    http://whelanlabs.home.comcast.net/~whelanlabs/content/SearchEngineManager.htm
    my
    web site . If you do try out the WhelanLabs wrapper for Nutch, please let me
    know what
    you think; I’d love constructive feedback, so that I can apply it to future
    improvements.

    Regards,

    John

    diab_a wrote:
    hi,
    I am new to nutch-solr-lucene. I have a very simpel question:
    I assume that nutch implemented in Java and has not been ported to other
    languages. right?

    I wounder if nutch available (or will be available) in C#/.net.

    Thank you for your help,
    Diab.