hi all

i tried to reuse the IndexSearcher among all of the threads that are
doing searches as described in
(http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-48921635adf2c968f7936dc07d51dfb40d638b82)

this works fine. but our application does continuous indexing. so the
index is changing and the at startup initialized IndexSearcher seems not
to be notified to reload the index.

is there a way to force the IndexSearcher to reload the index if the
index has changed?

thanks in advance

simon

  • Mark Miller at Sep 25, 2008 at 1:38 pm

    simon litwan wrote:
    hi all

    i tried to reuse the IndexSearcher among all of the threads that are
    doing searches as described in
    (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-48921635adf2c968f7936dc07d51dfb40d638b82)

    this works fine. but our application does continuous indexing. so the
    index is changing and the at startup initialized IndexSearcher seems
    not to be notified to reload the index.

    is there a way to force the IndexSearcher to reload the index if the
    index has changed?

    thanks in advance

    simon

  • Simon litwan at Sep 26, 2008 at 7:42 am

    Mark Miller schrieb:
    simon litwan wrote:
    hi all

    i tried to reuse the IndexSearcher among all of the threads that are
    doing searches as described in
    (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-48921635adf2c968f7936dc07d51dfb40d638b82)

    this works fine. but our application does continuous indexing. so the
    index is changing and the at startup initialized IndexSearcher seems
    not to be notified to reload the index.

    is there a way to force the IndexSearcher to reload the index if the
    index has changed?

    thanks in advance

    simon

    You want to reopen the Reader under the IndexSearcher, or open a new
    IndexSearcher.
    I want to reopen the Reader under the IndexSearcher when the index has
    changed. is there a way to do so?

    simon
  • Ian Lea at Sep 26, 2008 at 8:52 am
    Simon

    There is nothing in lucene to detect that an index has changed and
    automagically reopen an IndexReader.

    You can do the notification from your indexing thread, or every nnn
    mins, or whatever makes sense for your application. Note that
    IndexReader.reopen() does nothing if the index has not changed - see
    the javadocs.

    --
    Ian.

    i tried to reuse the IndexSearcher among all of the threads that are
    doing searches as described in
    (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-48921635adf2c968f7936dc07d51dfb40d638b82)

    this works fine. but our application does continuous indexing. so the
    index is changing and the at startup initialized IndexSearcher seems not to
    be notified to reload the index.

    is there a way to force the IndexSearcher to reload the index if the
    index has changed?

    thanks in advance

    simon

    You want to reopen the Reader under the IndexSearcher, or open a new
    IndexSearcher.
    I want to reopen the Reader under the IndexSearcher when the index has
    changed. is there a way to do so?

    simon
  • Simon litwan at Sep 26, 2008 at 9:35 am

    Ian Lea schrieb:
    Simon

    There is nothing in lucene to detect that an index has changed and
    automagically reopen an IndexReader.

    You can do the notification from your indexing thread, or every nnn
    mins, or whatever makes sense for your application. Note that
    IndexReader.reopen() does nothing if the index has not changed - see
    the javadocs.
    thanks very much. i will try it this way.

    cheers
    simon
    --
    Ian.

    i tried to reuse the IndexSearcher among all of the threads that are
    doing searches as described in
    (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-48921635adf2c968f7936dc07d51dfb40d638b82)

    this works fine. but our application does continuous indexing. so the
    index is changing and the at startup initialized IndexSearcher seems not to
    be notified to reload the index.

    is there a way to force the IndexSearcher to reload the index if the
    index has changed?

    thanks in advance

    simon

    You want to reopen the Reader under the IndexSearcher, or open a new
    IndexSearcher.
    I want to reopen the Reader under the IndexSearcher when the index has
    changed. is there a way to do so?

    simon
  • Michael Wechner at Sep 26, 2008 at 10:49 am

    Ian Lea schrieb:
    Simon

    There is nothing in lucene to detect that an index has changed and
    automagically reopen an IndexReader.

    You can do the notification from your indexing thread, or every nnn
    mins, or whatever makes sense for your application. Note that
    IndexReader.reopen() does nothing if the index has not changed - see
    the javadocs.
    would it make sense for Lucene to introduce this as a feature?

    Cheers

    Michael
    --
    Ian.

    i tried to reuse the IndexSearcher among all of the threads that are
    doing searches as described in
    (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-48921635adf2c968f7936dc07d51dfb40d638b82)

    this works fine. but our application does continuous indexing. so the
    index is changing and the at startup initialized IndexSearcher seems not to
    be notified to reload the index.

    is there a way to force the IndexSearcher to reload the index if the
    index has changed?

    thanks in advance

    simon

    You want to reopen the Reader under the IndexSearcher, or open a new
    IndexSearcher.
    I want to reopen the Reader under the IndexSearcher when the index has
    changed. is there a way to do so?

    simon
  • Otis Gospodnetic at Sep 26, 2008 at 3:03 pm
    I think somebody provided a patch (might have been a whole new IndexReader impl?) maaaaaaaaaaaany moons ago (2005?), but it never attracted enough interest to get committed.

    Otis