[DISCUSS] New Website

Grant Ingersoll
Jan 31, 2012 at 7:38 pm
As many of you know, I've been doing a slow burn on switching us over to the new ASF CMS. I'm finally at a point where I think we are ready, for the most part, so I'd like to propose we make the leap and switch. I finally had time to figure out a workaround for INFRA-3850 and have released the logjam caused by that blocker in terms of the L&F of the site.

You can see the new site at http://lucene.staging.apache.org/. I've ported almost all of the existing sites and done a lot to make it look better in terms of getting the CSS right, etc.

The new site is almost dead simple to edit:

1. svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/cms/trunk cms/trunk
2. svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/build if you wish to build and test locally
a. http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#local-build for details on building locally. If you are on a mac, you may need some perl dependencies installed.
b. cd asf-cms
c. ./build_site.pl --target-base=<path to output on local HTTPd server, I use ~/Sites> --source=../trunk/
3. Edit the files in cms/trunk/content and cms/trunk/templates as you see fit. When you are satisfied, svn commit.
4. Browse to the staging site to see them live.
5. TBD: publish to the main site. I'll figure that out when switching and post.

Markdown Reference: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
CMS Reference: http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html and http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html

(This info is available on the site at: http://lucene.staging.apache.org/site-instructions.html)

The whole process is 1000x easier than Forrest. You can even edit via the web using a WYSWIG editor if you so desire.

Now, here's the kicker, I'd like to switch to the new sites over this weekend or early next week at the latest and then iterate from there. I don't have a solution for the Core versioned docs yet, but those can be figured out later. Presumably we can convert them to markdown at some point before the next release and just maintain pointers to the old versions.

So, I'd suggest everyone give it a pass through, fix items as they see them and/or otherwise pitch in and help, because I'm tired of our current site and how poor it makes us look.

-Grant
reply

  • Mark Miller at Jan 31, 2012 at 8:31 pm