Grokbase Groups Lucene dev July 2009

A Comparison of Open Source Search Engines

Sean Owen
Jul 6, 2009 at 5:33 pm
http://zooie.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/a-comparison-of-open-source-search-engines-and-indexing-twitter/

I imagine many of you already saw this -- Lucene does pretty well in
this "shootout".
The only area it tended to lag, it seems, is memory usage and speed in
some cases.

reply

  • John Wang at Jul 6, 2009 at 8:39 pm
    Vik did a very nice job.One thing the experiment did not mention is that
    Lucene handles incremental updates, whereas many of the other "competitors"
    do not. So the indexing performance comparison is not really fair.

    -John
    I imagine many of you already saw this -- Lucene does pretty well in
    this "shootout".
    The only area it tended to lag, it seems, is memory usage and speed in
    some cases.

  • Earwin Burrfoot at Jul 6, 2009 at 9:02 pm
    I'd say out of these libraries only Lucene and Sphinx are worth mentioning.

    There's also MG4J, which wasn't covered and has a nice algorithmic background.
    Anybody knows other interesting open-source search engines?

    One thing the experiment did not mention is that Lucene handles incremental
    updates, whereas many of the other "competitors" do not. So the indexing
    performance comparison is not really fair.
    -John
    I imagine many of you already saw this -- Lucene does pretty well in
    this "shootout".
    The only area it tended to lag, it seems, is memory usage and speed in
    some cases.

    ICQ: 104465785

  • Eks dev at Jul 6, 2009 at 9:11 pm
    Anybody knows other interesting open-source search engines?
    Minion (https://minion.dev.java.net/)

    I'd say out of these libraries only Lucene and Sphinx are worth mentioning.

    There's also MG4J, which wasn't covered and has a nice algorithmic background.
    Anybody knows other interesting open-source search engines?

    One thing the experiment did not mention is that Lucene handles incremental
    updates, whereas many of the other "competitors" do not. So the indexing
    performance comparison is not really fair.
    -John
    I imagine many of you already saw this -- Lucene does pretty well in
    this "shootout".
    The only area it tended to lag, it seems, is memory usage and speed in
    some cases.

    ICQ: 104465785

  • John Wang at Jul 7, 2009 at 3:35 am
    mg4j is a nice project. It is missing the incremental aspects as well.The
    "older" paper this experiment mentioned contains lucene-mg4j comparisons.

    -John
    I'd say out of these libraries only Lucene and Sphinx are worth mentioning.

    There's also MG4J, which wasn't covered and has a nice algorithmic
    background.
    Anybody knows other interesting open-source search engines?

    One thing the experiment did not mention is that Lucene handles
    incremental
    updates, whereas many of the other "competitors" do not. So the indexing
    performance comparison is not really fair.
    -John
    I imagine many of you already saw this -- Lucene does pretty well in
    this "shootout".
    The only area it tended to lag, it seems, is memory usage and speed in
    some cases.

    ICQ: 104465785

  • Jorge Handl at Jul 9, 2009 at 12:02 am