[Hive-user] How to add jar to Hive "globally"?

Bryan xu
Nov 12, 2010 at 3:57 am
Dear all,
I would like to add jar to Hive in one session, and make this jar
"global" available to other New sessions. It seems "add jar filename.jar"
only preHook on current thread.

Any help or pointers on how to solve this?

Thanks
bryan
reply

  • Edward Capriolo at Nov 12, 2010 at 4:05 am

    I would like to add jar to Hive  in one session, and make this jar
    "global" available to other New sessions. It seems "add jar filename.jar"
    only preHook on current thread.
    Any help or pointers on how to solve this?

    Thanks
    bryan
    You can run commands globally. You can use place a .hiverc in user
    home or hive home.
    Everything in this file is run on startup.
    Edward
  • Shrijeet Paliwal at Nov 12, 2010 at 4:42 am
    One other alternative,

    Add following property to your hive-site.xml

    <property>
    <name>hive.aux.jars.path</name>
    <value>file:///home/me/my.jar,file:///home/you/your.jar,file:///home/us/our.jar</value>
    </property>

    I would like to add jar to Hive  in one session, and make this jar
    "global" available to other New sessions. It seems "add jar filename.jar"
    only preHook on current thread.
    Any help or pointers on how to solve this?

    Thanks
    bryan
    You can run commands globally. You can use place a .hiverc in user
    home or hive home.
    Everything in this file is run on startup.
    Edward
  • Edward Capriolo at Nov 12, 2010 at 4:45 am

    Add following property to your hive-site.xml

    <property>
    <name>hive.aux.jars.path</name>
    <value>file:///home/me/my.jar,file:///home/you/your.jar,file:///home/us/our.jar</value>
    </property>

    I would like to add jar to Hive  in one session, and make this jar
    "global" available to other New sessions. It seems "add jar filename.jar"
    only preHook on current thread.
    Any help or pointers on how to solve this?

    Thanks
    bryan
    You can run commands globally. You can use place a .hiverc in user
    home or hive home.
    Everything in this file is run on startup.
    Edward
    I'll see that suggestion and raise you another. :)
    You can also make a directory <hivehome>/auxlib and put your jars inside that.
  • Marcello de Sales at Nov 12, 2010 at 4:51 am
    I like the approach to have the properties in the hive-site.xml, as I have
    it under version control...

    Thanks for the suggestions...
    Marcello de Sales
[...]

  • Bryan xu at Nov 12, 2010 at 6:12 am
    Thanks for all the suggestions
    Right now we have a all_new.jar configuration in hive-site.xml:

    <property>
    <name>hive.aux.jars.path</name>
    <value>file:///${HIVE_HOME/auxlib/all_new.jar</value>
    </property>

    while adding a newjar to Hive,we manually update all_new.jar file like:
    all_new.jar += newjar.jar
    so the all_new.jar is keeping all new added jars.
    when Hive service RESTART, they all can be available.

    the problem is BEFORE RESTART ,how can we make the new added jar "global"
    available?

    On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com>