Grokbase Groups HBase user June 2016
Hello,

We're running hbase 1.2.0-cdh5.7.0. According to the HBase book, in order
to enable stripe compactions on a table we need to first disable the table. We
basically can't disable tables in production. Is it possible to do this
without disabling the table? If not, are there any plans to make this
doable?

Thanks!

Search Discussions

  • Ted Yu at Jun 6, 2016 at 7:26 pm
    Have you seen the doc at the top
    of ./hbase-shell/src/main/ruby/shell/commands/alter.rb ?

    Alter a table. If the "hbase.online.schema.update.enable" property is set to
    false, then the table must be disabled (see help 'disable'). If the
    "hbase.online.schema.update.enable" property is set to true, tables can be
    altered without disabling them first. Altering enabled tables has caused
    problems
    in the past, so use caution and test it before using in production.

    FYI
    We're running hbase 1.2.0-cdh5.7.0. According to the HBase book, in order
    to enable stripe compactions on a table we need to first disable the
    table. We
    basically can't disable tables in production. Is it possible to do this
    without disabling the table? If not, are there any plans to make this
    doable?

    Thanks!
  • Bryan Beaudreault at Jun 6, 2016 at 7:37 pm
    Thanks Ted, I have seen that and I have had it set for to true for years
    without issue. I was asking in this case because the docs for stripe
    compaction explicitly say to disable the table. I will test in our QA
    environment first, but would also appreciate input from anyone who has done
    this without disabling the table first, for better or worse.

    bbeaudreault@hubspot.com
    wrote:
    Hello,

    We're running hbase 1.2.0-cdh5.7.0. According to the HBase book, in order
    to enable stripe compactions on a table we need to first disable the
    table. We
    basically can't disable tables in production. Is it possible to do this
    without disabling the table? If not, are there any plans to make this
    doable?

    Thanks!
  • Enis Söztutar at Jun 7, 2016 at 7:04 pm
    Disabling the table should not be needed. From the stripe compaction
    perspective, deploying this in a disabled table versus in an online alter
    table is not different at all. The "hbase.online.schema.update.enable"
    property was fixing some possible race conditions that were fixed long time
    ago.

    We should update the documentation. Mind creating a small patch?
    Enis

    wrote:
    Hello,

    We're running hbase 1.2.0-cdh5.7.0. According to the HBase book, in
    order
    to enable stripe compactions on a table we need to first disable the
    table. We
    basically can't disable tables in production. Is it possible to do this
    without disabling the table? If not, are there any plans to make this
    doable?

    Thanks!
  • Bryan Beaudreault at Jun 7, 2016 at 7:49 pm
    Thanks Enis! I entered a JIRA and submitted a patch:

    wrote:
    Hello,

    We're running hbase 1.2.0-cdh5.7.0. According to the HBase book, in
    order
    to enable stripe compactions on a table we need to first disable the
    table. We
    basically can't disable tables in production. Is it possible to do
    this
    without disabling the table? If not, are there any plans to make
    this
    doable?

    Thanks!

groupuser @