Grokbase Groups HBase user June 2011
Hey Guys, I plan to do a tech talk here at ImageShack, on how we store
and serve about 200ml images from HBASE. The stats of our are:

60 Region Servers running HBASE
Configured Capacity : 517.44 TB
DFS Used : 286.93 TB
Table count: 1,000
Average file size: 500KB

I am doing this mostly to bring our dev. and QA teams up to speed, but
we would have open doors as well, and will serve Pizza. So, if anyone
is interested, RSVP to me. This should happen in next 2-3 weeks. (We
are in South Bay, Los Gatos CA).

-Jack

Search Discussions

  • Matt Davies at Jun 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm
    If it is possible I think any slides or even a video would be very
    interesting to some of us that can't travel. I, for one, would love to hear
    how you do it.

    Thanks!
    Hey Guys, I plan to do a tech talk here at ImageShack, on how we store
    and serve about 200ml images from HBASE. The stats of our are:

    60 Region Servers running HBASE
    Configured Capacity : 517.44 TB
    DFS Used : 286.93 TB
    Table count: 1,000
    Average file size: 500KB

    I am doing this mostly to bring our dev. and QA teams up to speed, but
    we would have open doors as well, and will serve Pizza. So, if anyone
    is interested, RSVP to me. This should happen in next 2-3 weeks. (We
    are in South Bay, Los Gatos CA).

    -Jack
  • Himanshu Vashishtha at Jun 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm
    +1 to Matt's opinion (if possible?).

    I am interested in your use case, sounds very impressive by the stats you
    gave. You said 1000 tables?
    Looking forward to see what optimizations/config tweaks you had to do to
    cope up with your read/write requirements.

    Thanks,
    Himanshu
    If it is possible I think any slides or even a video would be very
    interesting to some of us that can't travel. I, for one, would love to hear
    how you do it.

    Thanks!
    Hey Guys, I plan to do a tech talk here at ImageShack, on how we store
    and serve about 200ml images from HBASE. The stats of our are:

    60 Region Servers running HBASE
    Configured Capacity : 517.44 TB
    DFS Used : 286.93 TB
    Table count: 1,000
    Average file size: 500KB

    I am doing this mostly to bring our dev. and QA teams up to speed, but
    we would have open doors as well, and will serve Pizza. So, if anyone
    is interested, RSVP to me. This should happen in next 2-3 weeks. (We
    are in South Bay, Los Gatos CA).

    -Jack
  • Jean-Daniel Cryans at Jun 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm
    Would you like to transform this into a HUG? See
    http://www.meetup.com/hbaseusergroup/

    J-D
    Hey Guys, I plan to do a tech talk here at ImageShack, on how we store
    and serve about 200ml images from HBASE.  The stats of our are:

    60 Region Servers running HBASE
    Configured Capacity      :       517.44 TB
    DFS Used         :       286.93 TB
    Table count: 1,000
    Average file size: 500KB

    I am doing this mostly to bring our dev. and QA teams up to speed, but
    we would have open doors as well, and will serve Pizza.  So, if anyone
    is interested, RSVP to me. This should happen in next 2-3 weeks.  (We
    are in South Bay, Los Gatos CA).

    -Jack
  • Dave Viner at Jun 10, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    Would love to see the video and slides form this... sounds super
    interesting.
    Would you like to transform this into a HUG? See
    http://www.meetup.com/hbaseusergroup/

    J-D
    Hey Guys, I plan to do a tech talk here at ImageShack, on how we store
    and serve about 200ml images from HBASE. The stats of our are:

    60 Region Servers running HBASE
    Configured Capacity : 517.44 TB
    DFS Used : 286.93 TB
    Table count: 1,000
    Average file size: 500KB

    I am doing this mostly to bring our dev. and QA teams up to speed, but
    we would have open doors as well, and will serve Pizza. So, if anyone
    is interested, RSVP to me. This should happen in next 2-3 weeks. (We
    are in South Bay, Los Gatos CA).

    -Jack
  • Jack Levin at Jun 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm
    Yep. I'd do HUG, its probably larger building/room anyway :).

    -Jack

    On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans
    Would you like to transform this into a HUG? See
    http://www.meetup.com/hbaseusergroup/

    J-D
    Hey Guys, I plan to do a tech talk here at ImageShack, on how we store
    and serve about 200ml images from HBASE.  The stats of our are:

    60 Region Servers running HBASE
    Configured Capacity      :       517.44 TB
    DFS Used         :       286.93 TB
    Table count: 1,000
    Average file size: 500KB

    I am doing this mostly to bring our dev. and QA teams up to speed, but
    we would have open doors as well, and will serve Pizza.  So, if anyone
    is interested, RSVP to me. This should happen in next 2-3 weeks.  (We
    are in South Bay, Los Gatos CA).

    -Jack
  • Jack Levin at Jul 1, 2011 at 4:30 am
    http://www.slideshare.net/jacque74/hug-hbase-presentation

    My presentation posted on slideshare, from todays talk. FYI.

    Best,

    -Jack
[...]

  • Mark Kerzner at Jul 1, 2011 at 4:43 am
    Thank you, looks very interesting.

    Mark
[...]

  • Ravi Veeramachaneni at Jul 1, 2011 at 4:58 am
    Very interesting use case which is similar to ours. Though we use
    HBase for all other purposes, we are looking at alternatives for image
    storing. I'm very interested to look at your implementation
    (presentation and possibly video).

    Ravi
[...]

  • Dave Viner at Jul 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm
    Hi Jack,

    This looks like a great presentation. Very interesting slides. Was there
    video of the talk that will be posted?

    Thanks
    Dave Viner

[...]

  • Jack Levin at Jul 1, 2011 at 9:10 pm
    AFAIK, there was no recording of the talk.

    On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Jack Levin <magnito@gmail.com>
    Hey Guys, I plan to do a tech talk here at ImageShack, on how we
    store
    and serve about 200ml images from HBASE.  The stats of our are:

    60 Region Servers running HBASE
    Configured Capacity      :       517.44 TB
    DFS Used         :       286.93 TB
    Table count: 1,000
    Average file size: 500KB

    I am doing this mostly to bring our dev. and QA teams up to speed,
    but
    we would have open doors as well, and will serve Pizza.  So, if
    anyone
    is interested, RSVP to me. This should happen in next 2-3 weeks.
    (We
    are in South Bay, Los Gatos CA).

    -Jack

groupuser @